2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

replaced the cv shaft and...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM
rcoon87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced the cv shaft and...

ok so was at the beach and noticed popping noise in 4wd....
so when i got home jacked up and the cv was broke...

i went ahead and bought a new one and replaced and now when i tryed backing out of driveway, truck rolls alittle bit and like catches and the whole truck catches and jars, then try messing give it alittle gas and it will pop loose and jar again... go forward and same thing, it sounds like transfer case is binding or something, or atleast this is where the noise is coming from...

tryed doing all positions in 4x4, all sound bad, not even sure its coming out of 4wd or not...

i dont know if this helps but i jacked up rear end and tryed 2h, 4h n and 4l and only N would let the driveshaft in rear rotate the wheel and while doing so tranny is making a gear knocking noises, not sure if this is how its suppose to sound but why doesnt the rear tires loose while in 2h(by turning shaft that is)???

anyways it wasnt like this before, is there only one way to put cv back on???

oh yea this is the passenger side CV by the way...

Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

If it's in gear, the driveshaft wont turn because it's in gear. Even if trans is in neutral, it takes alot of torque to turn the transfer case gears via he driveshaft.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
rcoon87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok is there any tell-tell sign that the transfer case went out?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:52 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

If you've got the trans and T-case both in neutral, i think [I'm a 200/203/205 guy, I know nothign about these newfangled el-cheapo chain cases) that should have the intermediate, front, and rear shafts all neutralized. If that's true, and you can hear things making noise when you spin the driveshaft, I have a feeling you junkyed something.

Quick Reply: replaced the cv shaft and...