2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wrecked my truck (kinda...w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder98110
it could have been a lot worse, like doing a nosedive into that ditch.
agreed. That woulda sucked major ones! Once again, I'm left questionging why these trucks are Rear ABS only. Twice now I've skidded into something because the fronts locked and the rears didn't. I'd much rather have the backs lock up first, because they don't steer the vehicle. I'd rather wheel-hop and tail spin, than have the nose go whereever physics says it should go.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks I'm sorry. Thats so weird I messed my Dak up on Monday and you were just talking about the stop sign accident. Keep us updated

Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
agreed. That woulda sucked major ones! Once again, I'm left questionging why these trucks are Rear ABS only. Twice now I've skidded into something because the fronts locked and the rears didn't. I'd much rather have the backs lock up first, because they don't steer the vehicle. I'd rather wheel-hop and tail spin, than have the nose go whereever physics says it should go.
Unplug yor abs problem solved lol.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It has a plate but it's pretty thin and doesn't cover the entire bottom side of the gas tank. Plus the bottom of the fuel pump rests directly on the inside bottom of the tank too. The pump assembly has some spring to it, but it would be a good idea to check everything under the truck anyway.

Jimmy

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
twitchy
Professional

Whoa...
glad you're okay, and the truck too for the most part!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, your lucky for sure. I'm not sure how they locked up though? As soon as they do you gotta pump those suckers so you can still steer a little. You must have had to slam on the brakes to get them to skid... Weird. Glad you're okay though.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
twitchy
Professional

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Wow, your lucky for sure. I'm not sure how they locked up though? As soon as they do you gotta pump those suckers so you can still steer a little. You must have had to slam on the brakes to get them to skid... Weird. Glad you're okay though.
My right front brake locked up yesterday on the way to work.
Not sure what the reason was... but it seems to be okay since.

I was rollin' at ~5mph at the time... locked up and pulled me on the small patch of ice to the right... was not fun.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 PM
00dakSport
All Star

you got one nice flex shot at least lol. im glad you didn't flip and i hope everything turns out good.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
magnethead
Legend

Just got in. Coming home in mom's car, it looked pretty bad sitting in the driveway. Could definately tell it went through some brush and dirt. Once I pulled the bumper off, things cleaned up some. Riped all of the christmas tree fasteners from the right front, broke the lower part of the bumper at 3 of the retaining screws to the upper part, put 3 holes at the bottom of the plastic part, ripped the license plate off, took some chunks out of the right front bead, and broke the complete bottom half of the radiator fan shroud off. Also sliced the right front fog light wires. And of course, pretty much destroyed the trailer electrical connector. Nothing else even had a scratch.

Pulled the broken shroud out, put some new fasteners on the inner fender, had the tire checked out and re-mounted at firestone for $7, and it's good to drive again.

It was $85 to winch it out, and GEICO is paying $50 of it.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by bpark8824
On the way back from firestone, the service road was clear (and dry), so I figured why not. Held it at 40 and then started applying brake pressure gradually. Front Tires locked up at 75% and flat nosedived, I dont think the rears are doing piddly squat.

Quick Reply: wrecked my truck (kinda...w/ pics)