2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wrecked my truck (kinda...w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Pwall
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got to check the rears occasionally because they don't auto adjust very well. glad you and the truck are alright

Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 167 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Unplug yor abs problem solved lol.
Is there a way to do that without turning the dash light on? I just went out and pulled the fuse, but I'm 100% sure that will probably turn on the ABS lamp on the dash. Is the ABS/speed sensor one and same, or is it two physical sensors? Or can I just pull the bulb for the ABS lamp?

Last edited by magnethead; 12-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Pwall
you got to check the rears occasionally because they don't auto adjust very well. glad you and the truck are alright
I've pulle the drums off, there's still plenty of material on them, but I never did see if they were adjusted correctly.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magnethead
Is there a way to do that without turning the dash light on? I just went out and pulled the fuse, but I'm 100% sure that will probably turn on the ABS lamp on the dash. Is the ABS/speed sensor one and same, or is it two physical sensors? Or can I just pull the bulb for the ABS lamp?
The light will come on, but I'm not sure if they make an ABS simulated like they do for o2's.

My brakes don't lock up that easy. And although they aren't anything special, they aren't terrible either. Maybe because I don't use my brakes as much being a manual... I don't know.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No your dash light will come on im not sure I think the speed sensor is the same but I dont really know for sure. On my woods beater I just got rid of the abs I was tired of it and now my abs light is on so I know its not working lol

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

agreed. That woulda sucked major ones! Once again, I'm left questionging why these trucks are Rear ABS only. Twice now I've skidded into something because the fronts locked and the rears didn't. I'd much rather have the backs lock up first, because they don't steer the vehicle. I'd rather wheel-hop and tail spin, than have the nose go whereever physics says it should go.
Yeah, I really don't see the point in having rear abs. The front brakes are always the ones that lock up, it sucks. I would love to be able to steer while braking on ice or snow. I might have even been able to avoid the crunch the other night, or it couldn't have hurt. No more wrecking our Dakotas!!!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Yeah, I really don't see the point in having rear abs. The front brakes are always the ones that lock up, it sucks. I would love to be able to steer while braking on ice or snow. I might have even been able to avoid the crunch the other night, or it couldn't have hurt. No more wrecking our Dakotas!!!
my boss said it's because the rear axle is so much lighter, that they will tend to lock up first...But he still didn't see the sense in it, what would it cost, $100 more for 4 wheel ABS?

He now has a 2011 Frd ranger with all the bells and whistles- he said it's interesting feeling the diagonal anti-lock and throttle control system. He said with it turned on, you can't power brake or even try to drift even if you wanted to. It detects wheel speed at all 4 corners and changes the brake force at each wheel and cuts the throttle out to straighten back up

Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I would take my Dakota any day over a 2011 Ranger because, well it's a Ranger haha. But yeah I guess the back would lock up first, but it still doesn't make sense. That is kind of cool on the Ranger how you can do that, and turn it on and off.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 PM
parky07

agreed. That woulda sucked major ones! Once again, I'm left questionging why these trucks are Rear ABS only. Twice now I've skidded into something because the fronts locked and the rears didn't. I'd much rather have the backs lock up first, because they don't steer the vehicle. I'd rather wheel-hop and tail spin, than have the nose go whereever physics says it should go.
FMVSS states that no vehicle brake system can lock up the back before the front. I know this only because we just had to design a 4 disk brake system as a final project haha. Even tho there has been more then enough situations where I would rather the fronts lock after the rear. Not to mention 2gen brakes are garbage

Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Bam-Bam

I'm glad that you didn't get hurt and or roll your truck. You should thank your lucky stars because that easily could have been a lot worse. Just keep that in mind, once you lock up the front tires you better start pumping or you lose control.

I totally agree with the whole rear only ABS thing, that's just stupid I thought the whole point of ABS was so you can steer and maintain control of your vehicle during emergency breaking. I didn't know the Dakotas had rear only ABS I thought mine was broken lol, I might go unhook mine too. Do you just pull the fuse out for it ?

Quick Reply: wrecked my truck (kinda...w/ pics)