2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need help, putting in speakers right now

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, putting in speakers right now

all i need to no is which is the postive and negative wire. but the rear factory speakers aren't labeled and neither is the wire. i got 2 brown wires 1 with a blue strip and 1 with a yellow stripe. i think blue is the negative does anyone know for sure?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
00dakSport
All Star
Old 12-17-2010, 10:09 PM
parky07

if all else fails grab a multimeter, set that thing to 12v and touch the wires to the leads, might have to turn up the radio...negative voltage means its backwards

Old 12-17-2010, 10:28 PM
00dakSport
All Star

thanks 01silvercc, you help me not fry my new speakers. in case anyone else needs to replace the 5.25'' speakers in their reg cabs heres what i went with.

Cheap Car Speakers, Car GPS Navigation Systems, Car Amplifiers - Avenue Sound
there not bassy (2way) but they sound reall good with the 4 way's i have up front and the tweeters in the doors.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to know it worked out well for you. Doing rear speakers in a reg cab is not exactly easy.

Jimmy

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 AM
2002dakotakid
Rookie

i also have questions about speakers and maybe some of yall can help me out i recently fell into two 12's and a 500w amp so naturally i went and spent the 200 for a new head unit and wiring harnesses and stuff since it was free for the subs not a big audio guy or even a fan of big bass but since they were free and everybody has them i figured what the hey but after about a month with the subs in and bumping pretty hard every so often came home thanksgiving break and took the subs out bout a week after that the speakers kinda started having this static sound at all sound levels so i naturally just blew it off as static and then a pop happened while driving around and now i it up as loud as it will go and can barely hear it over my exhaust ... (glasspack duals out the rear still has all three cats) aka not too loud but good tone

what ive done is gone out and bought 4 new speakers since i tested all around and they all were equally as blown or so i think not really sure
tonight i replaced the two front ones and i thought that i would be able to just use them and they would be fine and sound normal but to my suprise they didn't and i know its not the new speakers cause there 220 watt pioneer 6 ' 1/2' pretty standard speakers

any thoughts im going to stop by a local audio shop tomorrow and see what they think hopefully its just a bad ground or something and maybe i just went a bought new speakers just for the heck of it

ps i did check all the fuses under the hood and on the side of the dash but the only one i didn't check is the head unit fuse but idk if that has any control of the speakers and or if it would work at all with that fuse blown if it is

thanks for reading and any ideas will be considered

Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

so you did check the in line fuse?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM
2002dakotakid
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blaze10
so you did check the in line fuse?
yes i checked the inline fuse i checked all the fuses except the one on the back of the head unit but i can still use the radio so its not that one for sure im taking it to a shop on the 6th for 65$ and an hours worth of time they can tell me whats wrong and from there if its something easy ill just do it my self

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

Try checking your speaker wires for holes. With my other Dakota on my system (replaced everything, speakers hu added sub and rewired it all) I accidently drilled through a speaker wire when putting the trim back in and it was grounding out.

I also had a similar problem with this Dakota, it's problem was a wire for one of the front blown speakers came loose from their electrical tape and it was grounding out.

Put some crappy 5x7's in the doors and fixed the wires and all is well.

And yes it is possible to fit a 5x7 speaker in a 6.5in hole without modifications LOL. I got tired of only having sound from the back two speakers.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 AM
Scaryjam8234
Rookie

Oh an also when I put the hu in my other Dakota I grounded it under the dash. Well turned out where I had grounded it wasn't metal. I ran a ground out to the firewall and it fixed the problem.

It was messing up like yours also.

Quick Reply: need help, putting in speakers right now