2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.10's and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 4.10's and mileage

ok, after the spark plug change, I've gained about 1/4 of a MPG back, from the 13.0-13.5 bracket, to 13.8 last tank.

Since we're having the camaro's axle done at Baertrax since they specialize in dana's, I asked for a quote to 4.10 my dakota as well, possibly over spring break.

He hasn't answered yet, but I was wondering what the roundabout chare would be. For the camaro, we bought the gears and install kit, and he said it would only be $250 in labor if he didnt buy anything. Since it's the same gear ratio and just new gears, i figure the labor cost is low because He doesn't have a whole lot of extra preload or shimming to do- plus it's a loose axle.

He hasn't returned with a quote yet, but he said the R&P's that he stands behind and warranties for street use are made by Nitro- http://www.nitro-gear.com/ring-pinions/ . I told him that some of the companies I found online were around $200-210 for the 4.10's, and he said he can get Nitro 4.10's for cheaper than that. So I figure $200 for the gears and $450 in labor since he has to put the truck on the lift and do everything as an installed axle.

So I'm guessing $650 and will see what he comes back with, but does everybody think that would be rather fair?

Quick Reply: 4.10's and mileage