2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 dak, 3.9L antifreeze leak, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 AM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 dak, 3.9L antifreeze leak, need some help...

I noticed that i have a small antifreeze leak and it looks like its coming from the heater bypass tube from the water pump (located on the drivers side) Its a black metal tube and it looks like it pushes into the water pump and then held in place by one bolt. I wanted to know if I should replace the whole part or just remove it and rtv seal it? The leak is only when the car sits in my drive way and it does NOT leak while its running... any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That tube just pops right out. It seals with a thin O-ring. When I was replacing my water pump a few months back I saw that tiny O-ring and went to replace it with a larger one I had on hand, well the clearance inside the water pump is minimal, so that's why it came with a thin O-ring. I did exactly what you mentioned, and just added some RTV and haven't had any issues. It seems like a weak place in the cooling system, and a great place for leaks to start. That was why I felt the need to do something to it. I believe the tube is just held into place with a tab and a bolt, but gravity will make coolant flow out of the water pump once you remove it, so be prepared.

Quick Reply: 99 dak, 3.9L antifreeze leak, need some help...