2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HID switch question(where are you user!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HID switch question(where are you user!!)

I was going to pm this to user but I figured it might come in handy for other people in the future.

So I got HID fogs and im going to wire it like user did in this thread(https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...hid-setup.html) This is supposed to cure flickering and plus you can run fogs with high beams even tho you wouldnt need them lol. Anyway I bought a switch so I could turn my fogs on but then I started to think can I just use my stock fog light switch(its seperate from the headlight switch) Im thinking I should be able to because when I hit the button it turns on my fogs so as long as I run a power wire to it that should work right? Plus you dont have to drill a hole in your dash for a rocker switch it keeps it clean and is stock. Let me know I plan to get it done when I get back on sun.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:55 AM
blown 346
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flickering HID's are due to poor quality.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Anyone? Even if someone could post up a wiring schematic of it that will at least help me out. I need to pick up a haynes manual.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that lil switch he used in his wiring...it crapped out immediatly. stupid autozone. it was the second one too...oh well. I put mine on the steering column, cant even really see it. Its for my reverse fogs anyway. I need to replace those...HID would be fun to **** off tailgaters

anyway, you should be able to do anything you want...Haynes or ebay for a pdf version. I think I paid like $5 for mine in 04. I could pull some pages,but i dont think theyd be the same, as mine is a diff switch. Just use relays and dont wire high current stuff thru a switch!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by DakMan6704
I have that lil switch he used in his wiring...it crapped out immediatly. stupid autozone. it was the second one too...oh well. I put mine on the steering column, cant even really see it. Its for my reverse fogs anyway. I need to replace those...HID would be fun to **** off tailgaters

anyway, you should be able to do anything you want...Haynes or ebay for a pdf version. I think I paid like $5 for mine in 04. I could pull some pages,but i dont think theyd be the same, as mine is a diff switch. Just use relays and dont wire high current stuff thru a switch!
Yeah im thinking I should be fine just wanna to make sure. Yeah we have a cure for people that high beam us my buddys 93 jeep cherokee has 4 kc 130 watt lights on the front bumper and then 2 55watt lights on the roof haha

1112101648.jpg

1118102129.jpg

Old 12-30-2010, 06:23 AM
User
Champion

You should be fine using the stock switch, take it out and post a photo of the wires coming out the back, you can just bypass the factory wiring and run your own.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by blown 346
Flickering HID's are due to poor quality.
and bad grounds, along with ****ty stock wiring.

The kit I used required the installer to tap into the stock fog harness the bulbs and ballast use 10g wire, while the factory **** is like what 16g maybe 14g. The stock switch blew out 2 times in my truck, both the fog lights and headlights run though the same switch and relay, using the HID kits for some reason ****s all that **** up. Causing weird issues when using HID fogs and HID heads. Bottle necks, and ****ty grounds/relays was the problem.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Had dad snap a pic for me since im not home. Wires are Black, Black/w yellow tr, Brown/w white tr, blue/w black tr, Orange, Total of 5 wires.

1230101550.jpg

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 AM
User
Champion

Find a wire diagram for that switch, then just run your own wires to the battery, ground, ballast ect...

Since you do have the separate switch you can just try installing them the way they recommend and see how it works. Mine was all one switch, which was the problem, the inside of the all in one switch was a ****y design.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by User
Find a wire diagram for that switch, then just run your own wires to the battery, ground, ballast ect...

Since you do have the separate switch you can just try installing them the way they recommend and see how it works. Mine was all one switch, which was the problem, the inside of the all in one switch was a ****y design.
Thats my prob tho I cant find one lol

Quick Reply: HID switch question(where are you user!!)