2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 dakota heater core

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Baby Blue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dakota heater core

Anybody done one recently? do you have to pull the dash?
2003 dodge dakota quad quad cab with V8.
thanks! BB.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the heater core is behind the dash you don't really have to remove it from the truck, but you do have to lean it forward to get to the blower box.

Here are some photos of a 2000, but its very similar to the 01+

There is a few bolts you have to loosen from the inside of the engine bay to get the blower box out, once the box is out the heater core is on the far left of the box.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Baby Blue

boy that looks like fun. I have a faint anti freeze smell sometimes and the anti freeze ran low a few times and started to overheat the engine. I'm guessing core but not certain. Must we a realy slow leak.. can't find anything under the hood leaking.
BB>

Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a post from dakota-duango.com with pics from an '02:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=130818

I hope I never have to do this one myself. Good luck on yours.

Jimmy

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
terencejiminy
Cool My Michigan Heat issue.... in my 00 3.9 SLT Dakota

New Guy Here...
Thanks to all for the PIX. Much better than text. My 198,680 mile 2000 3.9 SLT is my dream truck. Back in the late 90's 3 of my 5 kids had Dakota Sports. All 3.9s and all gems.
The previous owner had an o/heating problem WAAAAAAAY Back around 100K miles winter of '08/'09. He quickly had the T-stat, Rad and Pump replaced and all was well. Now I have it and the wife (WE'RE BOTH IN OUR 60's) hates how long it takes to warm up??? PO is old friend and he showed me bill for O/heat repairs and it shows new Mopar Rad, Aftermarket W/Pump and T-stat. Gauge on dash shows its warmed up reading just below 210 on gauge (like 190?).
1st I can't tell where the floor heat COMES OUT down there? Getting too old to bend/twist to look real close too.
Dash AC vents only deliver warm heat not anywhere near what 190 should feel like. I did notice the temp **** turned all the way to the rt is the ONLY way to get ANY heat. Maybe the Blend Door is the culprit? Turn that temp **** ONE HAIR from full heat and it gets cold real fast.
Thought it may be time to back-blow out the core with compressed air once, but after the reports here of core leaks??????
I now DO hope its just the Blend Door.
Any input is helpful.
Thanks,
Terry

Quick Reply: 2003 dakota heater core