2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

problem - 2" rearblocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM
rewster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem - 2" rearblocks

Hey guys, first post on here but I've been reading for a long time and always respect the advice and opinions. On my 01 Dak CC 4wd I cranked the TB's and got 2.5" up front and to keep the rake I'm putting 2" blocks on the rear. After soaking overnight in PB blaster I got all the U-bolts free but there is still a single bolt on each set of leaves that seems to bind them to the axle housing. I can spin the nut on top (facing the upper wheel well) but it also spins the bolt. And on the bottom I canot see where the bolt head is to put a wrench on it. I want this done asap but cannot think of a way of loosening the bolt to fit in the blocks. Help!! Thanks fellas

Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

There is no hex or anything like that on the center pin bolt. I used visegrips to get a hold of that end.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM
rewster

I can simply just cut it off and replace it with a grade 8 or stainless if I must. Ive also been told that the bolt just hold the leaf pack together too so should not be a concern. But I've pryed and heated and oiled and can't get the leaves off the axle.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

I'm not even sure if you can reuse them. The center bolt is really just there to center, because the end of the bolt actually fits into the axle mount. The U-bolts actually hold everything together. So you're having issues taking the axle off the springs after taking out the U-Bolts? I find that odd, because it should just come right out.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 PM
rewster

Originally Posted by Rakaric
I'm not even sure if you can reuse them. The center bolt is really just there to center, because the end of the bolt actually fits into the axle mount. The U-bolts actually hold everything together. So you're having issues taking the axle off the springs after taking out the U-Bolts? I find that odd, because it should just come right out.
You're absolutely right. I did finally get the leaves free from the axle. There was a bit of rust scaling off the leafs onto the saddle mount that had to come out to get things resolved. Once everything got apart, I did go ahead and replace the nut & bolt, strip of the surface oxidation from the leaves and coat them a few times with navel jelly to try and ward off further exposure. Looks great and should be no more problems on that end. Thanks for the advice Rakaric

Quick Reply: problem - 2" rearblocks