2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'01 Dakota tailgate hinge problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
gregp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Dakota tailgate hinge problem

I got my belt squeal taken care of last week, by replaceing the spring loaded idler. Today, as I opened the tailgate to shovel the snow out of the back, the tailgate pretty much fell off into my hands! Closer inspection revealed that the passenger side hinge pin has completely rusted away, and it is still sitting in the cup (the female part of the hinge, which is bolted to the tailgate). The pin does not appear to be "bolted" to the fender, and before I climb down in the sand and snow to take a look, I figured that I would ask here: Is the pin "removeable" from the fender? Maybe from the back side? Is there any sort of "Repair Kit" offered for this issue?
I was think that, if all of the answers to my my questions are "No", that maybe I could drill and tap it out and make a custom pin to thread into what is left of the old one...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Gregp

Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

Your talking about the pieace the tailgate pivots on right?? im sure If you can't find a replacement you can make one.. they are definitly removable, got to be.. Find a old scrap dodge and pull the passenger side fitting off it?

take a picutre of it?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
gregp

Yes, the pivot pin is what I am refering to. If it is removeable, it must come off from behind the fender, as I can see no fasteners at all on the outside. I may just have to get dirty and climb under there to take a look (and maybe a picture!).
Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:16 PM
gregp

I checked this out and the pins definately are *not* removeable, except maybe with a torch and a grinder. The pins are actually hollow steel tubes, with two flats, that appear to be "swaged" into the fender. I am going to have to make some sort of custom repair parts for this job.
This is the drivers side hinge pin:
DSCN2707.jpg
This is what is left of the passenger side hinge pin (note the angle for ease of tailgate removal):
DSCN2705.jpg
These are the hinge cups (drivers side on the left):
DSCN2708.jpg
This is the plug that plugs the hinge pin tube, and the plastic cap that rides in the cup:
DSCN2709.jpg

Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
gregp

For all of you with these trucks, particularly those in New England, where sand and salt is used regularly on the roads, I suggest removing your tailgate, removing the caps and end plugs, and maybe packing the hinge pins with grease to prevent this from happening to you!
You will probably have to use a small pick or screwdriver to clean the debris out of them first. Both of mine were packed solid.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 AM
markmdz

so I just bought my '99 Dakota last night and have the same problem. Both pins appear to be sheared/rusted off and the tailgate is just sort of hanging.

Did you fix yours already? If so, what did you do to fix it?

This was a VT truck and now is with me here in CT, so this is certainly not the first snow it's seen, nor will it be the last.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to look at mine.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
gregp

Mark, yes, I did fix mine. I made up a "pin" out of UHMW plastic, with a recessed bolt hole, and simply bolted it right through what was left of the old pin. I employed the jagged edges of what was left of the old pin by allowing them to dig in to my plastic pin, holding it securely in place when I tightened up the bolt. I used a 1/4-20 x 1" or 1 1/4" socket head cap screw, with a large fender washer on the back side, under the nut. It is not the greatest fix, but it works. I should have taken the time to mill flats on my pin, so it would retain the "quick removal" feature, but I didn't. If I want to remove my tailgate, I will have to unbolt the hinge cup brackets from the tailgate. I have not had to remove my tailgate in 10 years, so I do not think that this will be an issue for me.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
markmdz

Great. thanks for the update. What are the odds you snapped a pic or two of the pin you fabricated?

After closer inspection, and talking to the local Dodge dealer, not only are my pins gone, but that plastic guide/bushing and the pin plug are both gone as well. Dodge can supply each of those pieces for about $5-6 each, but (so far) there does not appear to be a replacement pin available from Dodge. Quite annoying really.

After I get the chance to get some of the snow off the truck (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be able to really see what I have to work with and I'll snap a few pics along the way in order to show anyone how bad it is, and how if fixed it (if I'm able to fix it this weekend).

Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
gregp

Mark, I am sorry, but I did not snap a picture of my replacement pin. I pretty much measured the plasic cap, and just made a round slug that size. It was not very long - maybe an inch or 1 1/4"? you should be able to get the OD from measuring the cup on the drivers side, but I did not make the pin a super tight fit - the OEM plastic cap had to be forced in there!
Overall, it was not a difficult process at all, but I had a small machine shop at my disposal, so I made it myself. If you have someone make 2 of these pins, it shouldn't cost more than $20 or so.
I have since purchased a new Toyota Tacoma, and I am now working on fixing up my Dakota to sell it. I found that the rear plastic lisence plate holder has come loose from the rear bumper now. It looks like the bumper just rotted out, so I will have to make a steel or aluminum plate to rivit in there in its place. I can not believe how poorly some of these periferals are engineered! I also lost a plastic wheel center cap in the last big snow storm! Crap! Those things are over $20 each on E-Bay!
Time will tell if the Tacoma is engineered any better in this regard.
Greg

Quick Reply: '01 Dakota tailgate hinge problem