2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar issue, but my fix was a wheel bearing. at that super slow speed it would move enough to feel it but under power and high speed i could not feel it until it finally went out. after i replaced it, i noticed the chugging at idle speed was gone. it may not have anything to do with your problem, but thats my $0.02 .

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reply, the shop did a break job thinking it was something like that, but Like I told them I would have to be doing at least 30mph for something like that to do it...

Man.. this is a hard one.. damn Dodge.. right now I'd give anything to have my old 81 Ford back.. ha ha..

I'm going to do the injector cleaning service WallyWorld has, then take it in and have them check time.

Do a valve Cover job and make sure the oil drain's are not clogged while we have the Vcovers off.. just a little PM work.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
McNasy
Veteran

off topic but i had a 1980 f1oo straight 6, that damn thing ran until there was no rear fenders or floor boards left. funny you said that. but a digress, i love my dakota.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I hear you.. I like my truck overall I do... but if I had the chance to go back in time, i would never of gotten rid of my 81, I did not ever have any problems out of that truck other than needing a paint job..

Ah.. you had the 300-6 right? that was on of the best, strongest, long lasting motors made..

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 01-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yesterday, I got in my truck cranked up, noticed it was idleing cold aroudn 1500... wow.. normally its around 1k then after warm drops slightly above 500 or so..

Well.. I reved the engine a little to see if it would come down yup.. it came down all right.. it chugged like it wanted to die.. then back up to 1k then back down and eventually died.. cranked back and it ran 'normal' (at least normal to what I'm used too)

this is the first time I've had this ghost problem. Checked everything under the hood, everything was fine.. no disconnected lines or anything.. dont know what that was all about.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

TPS problem?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

TBH I'm not really sure.. I never had these kinds of issue on a Ford.. wires and plugs would always fix them.. but that was the old stuff..

So does that sound like it? Some people say the ICS <-- The one in front with the plunger forget the actual name..

Some say injectors.. there is a lot of talk about different things, but I have yet to find one online post or thread with the *same* symptoms I have..

This one though was the first time I've had it happen.. and it really threw a wrench off in my line of thinking about what the problem was..

I still have no codes.. but the orginal problem i can add.. you can feel in the breather hat, the truck it self, the 'miss' 'lope' w/e if it is when in park.. you can watch the engine.. and the idler pully in tune with the lope if i were to put in gear and have someone watch it.. you could see this pully move in tune..

hard to explain I'm not a mech.. maybee a vid would help?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM
frydaddy82
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be a intake leak also. might wanna spray some carb cleaner around the intake while its runnin to see if it dies out then u will know if its leakn.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Default RE:

That just seemed to make it look clean..

Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I still have not gotten around to getting an injector cleaning service done yet.. Think that will be my next step..

Quick Reply: 97' 5.2L bizar Loping/Shuttering/creeping Need help