2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My Radiator Froze Up This Morning(With Fix)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post My Radiator Froze Up This Morning(With Fix)

THE PROBLEM:Well I got up this morning and started my truck to let it warm up.When I went back outside I noticed that my windshield wasn't defrosted.I felt of the air blowing out of the vents and it was just as cold as when I first started it so I knew something was frozen.I decided I would drive it a little to see if it got any better but it didn't.The temperature hand kept rising so I turned around.When I got back to my house I started thinking I'm screwed.I started feeling all the hoses to try to pinpoint what was frozen.I found that the left side of the radiator was ice cold while the right side was hot.After I pinpointed the problem area I started thinking of how to fix it.

THE FIX:I don't have a garage so I couldn't heat up the entire truck so what I did was started it and let it run a little while then shut it off before it got too hot.I repeated this a few times thinking that the heat might unthaw it eventually but it didn't.After that I took a small heater and set it on the bumper facing the radiator and let it sit about 30-40 mins.That done the trick.Luckily nothing didn't bust when it froze.

Sorry for the long thread but I figured someone else might have this problem sometime and be looking for a way to fix it.I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it worked for me.Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big question is why? Dija check the antifreeze or what?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

hmm.. Well... you might want to Drain a bit and add more coolant. As the coolant(anti-freeze) is just there to keep the water from freezing, you might want to do this as to the water freezing inside the block and Really causing your a headache. be carefull

Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At camp since there is no garage we use a sunflower heater as we call it lol hooks up to a 20 gal or bigger propane tank and will run for hrs on high. We use it for unfreezing trucks and atvs and if you have to work on something outside it will at least give you some heat to stand around and warm up your hands but be careful if you have plastic within 3 feet of it you will come back to a either melted or burnt item lol Works great in a tree stand too

Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
bigreed91
Veteran

i had this problem a few weeks ago except worse, i bought my truck back in october and assumed it had antifreeze in it not water. well after the water hose busted one night right above the water pump i found out i assumed wrong

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

In my ram up here in montana i run roughtly a 60/40 mix(maybe a lil thicker) I have mine set to freeze around -60..

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Derek2002
Professional

Originally Posted by 89newbie
Big question is why? Dija check the antifreeze or what?
I never checked to see how good the mix was.I assumed it was fine because it hadn't froze up yet but it got down to like 2 degrees that night so I guess it just wasn't cold enough.And I did add more coolant when I got to work.I guess I forgot to put that in the thread.

Quick Reply: My Radiator Froze Up This Morning(With Fix)