2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

motor locked up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
a-hall
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor locked up

Was on the interstate and all of a sudden it died. wasnt hot and had oil in it.Today I went to turn the crank with a breaker bar and sure enough its locked up. I pulled the plugs with no damage whatsoever to them. I pulled the drivers side valve cover and its good. oil where it needs to be and no dropped valves. everything looked good. so i went counterclock wise with the crank(by hand) and it was hard but i broke it loose. then i went clockwise and its free now. Im thinking the oil pump is down, the timing gear or chain is apart, or my fresh rebuilt tranny came apart and something hung the flywheel. The timing gear and chain was changed in 2008 by myself and i installed adouble roller set. so it should be good. ran fine since then. However after i had the tranny rebuilt recently i found bolts just hand tighted and hoses with clamps on wrong. so im thinking something came loose and snaged the flywheel and i broke it loose when turning it by hand. any insight is helpful. tomarrow i will be inspecting tranny with the removal of the inspecting plate.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
midget-farms
Professional

Ouch. You didn't say what engine it has, but it sounds like it wasn't an engine issue anyway.

My sister has a VW jetta diesel where the speed sensor went out on the tranny & jammed the engine somehow. Sent a rod through the block & thrashed the tranny too.

Might be cheaper to buy another truck than to put all that cash into rebuilding everything.

Not to mention the down time.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
a-hall
Rookie

yeah look at my mod list. lol im in too deep with this truck to get another one. Today i found the problem. I put everything back together and it ran like a top. but now the trannys is leaking fluid real bad so whatever i knocked loose busted a seal. i think its the tranny pump.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

what was the problem?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:11 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well at least the engine is ok was sad cause you have a really nice truck.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
a-hall
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Well at least the engine is ok was sad cause you have a really nice truck.
I appreciate the compliment but i wasnt going to let a motor fowl up kill it for my dodge. If it had been the motor i would be building a 360 right now to drop in it Ive got too much money in it to trash it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
a-hall
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigreed91
what was the problem?
Im not sure yet but something in the tranny came apart and locked the flywheel. Once i freed it up the truck ran fine but its leaking tranny fluid like mad. so whatever it was it locked the motor and tore a seal. Ill find out maybe tomarrow if i drop the tran pan. Im taking it to a transmission guy that i should of used in the first place.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by a-hall
I appreciate the compliment but i wasnt going to let a motor fowl up kill it for my dodge. If it had been the motor i would be building a 360 right now to drop in it Ive got too much money in it to trash it.
Yeah lol im at the same place I want a cummins but I have too much into this truck to let it go now at least I know everything thats been done to it

Quick Reply: motor locked up