2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

trans fluid...and how to figure out what size rear dif

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 PM
fourpointseven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do a search on your vin number, you should be able to find it somehwere...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
dirtsurferus

o ok. lol i looked in the glove box for the axle info...where would it be? i watched going down the highway and 65mph is around 1600 rpms. you said that you are running royal purple on your transmission? i know that royal purple is really expensive for diffs and stuff...what did the prices look like on yours? and did you see a difference in performance? I have one more thing that i noticed here recently.....when i downshift into 2nd while im slowing down....you hear a grinding noise the whole time that it is in gear. same with first.....this does not happen in the upper gears though. is there something that i need to tighten or something? a long time ago i was driving through town and when i tried to shift it just ground like i wasnt holding the clutch in at all even though i was. it did this on fist and second gear. when this happened it wouldnt go into gear at all. i thought that it was my clutch that went out but it only happend for like a day sparatically then it just stopped. is it all related?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
DakMan6704
Captain

Sounds like you have some possibly serious issues to tend to. Your synchros might be shot on that carrier. May need a rebuild :/

The royal purple stuff isnt too cheap, but then again, its not a monthly item. I think the zone is like $18 a qt for either fluid. I may have paid like 12 or 10 a few years ago buying in bulk.

My thinking, is get the trans drained. the plug has a magnet, and you will see if there is significant damage. I cant speak to a low fluid level in a man. trans, but maybe the fluid is low, and exhibited those symptoms. Then it got some sloshed around, and went into gear for ya.

I would be considering a rebuild if I were in your position. Anyone that has had issues may be able to chime in.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the service manual says it never needs to be changed but if you do it is a synchromesh type fluid. I decided to change mine and have done it twice with Pennzoil synchromesh and it has be fine for oh idk 50k miles now. its like 7-10 bucks a quart at autozone or some place like that I forget for sure. hardest part is finding the 17mm hex wrench for the drain plugs at least it was for me. also if you dont have a pump its not to hard to take the shifter off and fill it from the cab untill it runs out of the fill plug. i've done it twice so if you have any other questions let me know. it does sound though that you have other problems than fluid to worry about with it right now :/

Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
DakMan6704
Captain

HAha...never thought to fill it from the top. Me, I like pain, so I put a piece of tubing on the nozzle, and just squeeze till my arms shake, breathe, squeeze...beer.

Of course, Had i known I was getting the Hurst, Ida waited. lol.

Sears has 17mm wrenches. I think I was lucky cause we had one from our '83 Audi URQ. Autozone or whoever may loan you one, as yea, you really dont need em often!
Anyway, good luck!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DakMan6704
HAha...never thought to fill it from the top. Me, I like pain, so I put a piece of tubing on the nozzle, and just squeeze till my arms shake, breathe, squeeze...beer.

Of course, Had i known I was getting the Hurst, Ida waited. lol.

Sears has 17mm wrenches. I think I was lucky cause we had one from our '83 Audi URQ. Autozone or whoever may loan you one, as yea, you really dont need em often!
Anyway, good luck!
yeah I do remember seeing them there now that you say it but 3 years ago when I did it the first time I looked everywhere and couldn't find them haha guess they started to come around since then.

did you get the hurst on?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a sticker in my glove box either on the door or the inside bottom of the glove box. I can't remember exactly.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
DakMan6704
Captain

No...have to set up a UPS claim. not 100% shpping, but the had the shifter poking out of the box for who knows how long...threads look banged up. If they dont respond, I might toss it on. I was also leary of putting the RTV on, and then going into a 20-40deg climate. Need to see what temp it needs to cure.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
dirtsurferus

Let me know how it works cause I've been looking into shifters. ( I imagine that is what it is right?)

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

make sure it works to man. i know I keep sounding like a downer but i have done some searching and still dont see them for anything later than 2000 and the interior change from the 00 to 01's messed them up. I hope it works for you because I love mine to death still the best mod I did

Quick Reply: trans fluid...and how to figure out what size rear dif