2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater problem 2001 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Mike Wood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problem 2001 4.7L

my truck is BARELY pumping any air through the vents (HOT or A/C)... no matter what setting i have on the fan speed dial. hot air will come out after the truck is warm of course but it is barely noticeable and will hardly even defog my windows. this is becoming a problem because i live in Alberta, Canada and its cold enough to freeze the ***** off a brass monkey here most the time in winter and the truck isnt deicing/fogging the windows...
it almost seems like the fan is stuck in the lowest speed no matter where i set the fan-speed control ****... the heater gets hot and the a/c is cold but the air just isnt flowing...

if anyone has any ideas or if anyone had experienced this problems in the past i would appreciate hearing from you

thanks
Mike

Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd generation Dakota sub forum.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, when you turn up the control **** do you hear/can you hear the fan speed up? Does it sound louder?

If yes, then I would suspect you need to figure out if there is something blocking the air flow.. put to highest speed and then stick your hand under the dash.. feel around for any air leaks.. or coming through the floor when in vent.. and so on.. see if there is a leak.. and so on.. or it could just be blocked by something.

If it does not speed up or sound like it increases speed... verify the setting.. is the fan actually working on anything other than low?

I will tell you.. my Jeep Wrangler had a problem where only low wroked everything else did not. Seems that Chrysler made crappy control switches.. I had to replace mine 3 times.. the last time it actually caught on fire.. and I had to splice lines.

If its not working on higher settings.. or you want to do it for the heck of it.. go to the dealer and get a switch.. (Dealer item) and swap the fan control out..

while your back there check out the wires.. make sure non burnt/burnt through/ or look like they have gotten 'super heated' as those are the wires that tend to catch fire.

Quick Reply: Heater problem 2001 4.7L