2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9 Belt Too Long - Dealer Installed A/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
brgbldr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 Belt Too Long - Dealer Installed A/C

I just purchased an extremely clean '98 Dak Sport with the 3.9L and 5 Speed. It squealed a little when we bought it, but seeing as how it had such low miles we figured it had been sitting and perhaps needed an alternator or idler etc. I tried buying a new tensioner pulley assembly, but discovered the belt was really lose after installing it. The metal bracket that supports the tensioner had been altered so that it was actually offset about 1/4" away from the center of the engine, effectively tightening the belt. After a quick run to the junk yard to purchase an unmodified OEM tensioner bracket base, we tried installing the factory 97.25" long belt. It didn't fit and was way too long. Autozone had a listing for a 95.50" belt that it said was for "Dealer Installed A/C". I couldn't find one of those in stock anywhere, but Carquest had a 95.75" belt which we purchased. When we tried to install that belt we could not get it over the pulleys as the belt was then TOO SHORT.... It wasn't much too short, but we needed a belt obviously somewhere between 97.5" and 95.75".

Then we noticed the bracket supporting the compressor was actually a custom fabricated unit instead of a factory unit. That led me to looking closer at the compressor itself. We had hoped that we'd just run to the junk yard and grab the original bracket and mount it all back the way it was supposed to be mounted. Unfortunately after looking up the compressor model number it is not in any way a Mopar unit. It is a "Tama 488-45121" 8-groove compressor. Alas, there is now no question that I have an aftermarket, or dealer installed A/C system. The problem now is just what the heck size belt do I install, and/or did this guy fabricate his own bracket or is there a different one I can buy which allows me to use any standard belts?

At this point we went back to Autozone and simply purchased the shorter non-A/C belt and bypassed the compressor for the time being. It's not what we want long term, but certainly gets the rig back on the road. My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any idea who might have originally fabricated and sold this kit?
2) I think I can fit a 96" long belt and I see that they're sold in 6-ribs instead of the factory 7-rib. I can't imagine it would make that big of a difference to run 6-ribs versus 7, but I am looking for advice.
3) Any other ideas?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Napa. I needed a smaller belt for my mustang when I
went with a smaller pulley for my blower (T-Trim), 8-rib.
I bought five different sizes, Found the one that worked,
returned the rest. The guys at the parts counter really
took their time with me and helped out a lot. Seems
if you end up at Autozone or Advance auto or Pep Boys,
if it's not on the computer in front of them,it's like they
are deer staring at a set of headlights not knowing what
to do.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
drifter58
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB's right, it's all about trial and error, try buying a couple different sizes and see what happens. Also, do you still have the old tension-er bracket? That might have been part of the a/c kit. As far as using the 6 rib belt, i don't see why not. look online to, might have more of a selection there.

Quick Reply: 3.9 Belt Too Long - Dealer Installed A/C