2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Good deal at Advance

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtpiler
i have a 2001 i just got and dont know about the oil change history , should it be synthetic or should i check somehow before changing it? and thanks for the heads up thats a good deal
How many miles are on it? It really doesn't matter if it had synthetic in it or not. You can still run either synthetic or conventional, or a synthetic blend. I ran synthetic for a little while in my truck and realized it just isn't worth it in a daily driver with a 120k+ on it. Also, it would burn about a qt. over 3500 miles with synthetic since it does thin out a little more than conventional. So I like to run synthetic blend. I like to think it is a little better than conventional but how much, I'm not sure.

The filter is the most important part. Get a good filter like a Purolator or a WIX. That's more important than the oil IMO.

And dakotajim, thanks for that link. It's a real good read. I've seen that before but couldn't find it when I needed it.

Last edited by bpark8824; 02-13-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Oh I didn't realize BP owned Castrol... Do you know who makes Purolator filters or do they actually make their own?
Bosch bought Purolator about 4 years ago. The good thing is they didn't change or cheap out the construction of the Puro filters. Mostly they just bought Puro as a way to make more money for Bosch and its shareholders. Purolator still makes all of the Purolator oil and air filters and PCV valves, but Bosch owns the Purolator company and name.

The Bosch oil filters you can buy at Autozone are the exact same filter as the Purolator Pure One, it just has a Bosch label on it. Sometimes Autozone will have sales on synthethic and synthetic blend oils with a Bosch filter, those are good deals too.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 02-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont usually get my oil at advance but i might now thanks bpark. the one by me is the newest and bigest auto store in town but whenever i go there they only have 5 spark plugs or 4 quarts of oil. i've used the castrol syntec and XG fram filters for almost 40k now so im not changing it. 01silver, maybe bp needs that money to clean up, gotta do my part lol.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Bosch bought Purolator about 4 years ago. The good thing is they didn't change or cheap out the construction of the Puro filters. Mostly they just bought Puro as a way to make more money for Bosch and its shareholders. Purolator still makes all of the Purolator oil and air filters and PCV valves, but Bosch owns the Purolator company and name.

The Bosch oil filters you can buy at Autozone are the exact same filter as the Purolator Pure One, it just has a Bosch label on it. Sometimes Autozone will have sales on synthethic and synthetic blend oils with a Bosch filter, those are good deals too.

Jimmy
I just read this morning that Bosch made Purolator. The Bosch filters are more expensive though.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont get my oil from autozone,advanced ect I get mine at walmart. I get valvoline synblend with a mopar filter out the door for 22.12 I believe I know for a fact its 22. I found that the auto places when they have a sale charge maybe a 1.00 less then what I get it at walmart for and I wont buy anything else other than valvoline and its goes on sale about 2 times a year.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Purolator still makes Purolator filters, and they are still made here in the USA:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...23/211511.html

Purolator is also the current supplier for the Mopar oil filters sold at Walmart. Mopar gives their OEM filter business to who ever gives them the best price. Some years ago it was Fram.

Who knows what the price of oil is going to do from one day to the next. Gas prices will still very likely hit $4.00/gallon and go even higher later this year, even though there has been a HUGE oil field discovered out West:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110209/...s/us_shale_oil

Some foreign countries and OPEC members want to buy contracts on that oil and drill it themselves so they can sell it back to the USA at a profit. I would not be surprised at all to see a deal like that go down, but the government will probably cover it up and not publicize it when it happens.

I do not like oil companies but I have to buy and use oil and gas. I think it's smart for all of us to stock up when we can, whether we find the best price on oil and filters at Advance, Napa, Autozone, Walmart or wherever we want to shop. The good thing about Walmart is they will price match if you find a better sale price than theirs.

Kmart has Valvoline on sale this week, Conventional White Bottle 5 quarts for $12.00, Maxlife 5 for $14.00 and Synpower for $4.99 per quart. The problem is a lot of the time Kmart hardly has any of it on the shelf, and what is on the shelf is old. The other problem with Kmart is they usually only have a couple of different weights in stock and that's it. But you can take the Kmart sales ad to Walmart and get the Kmart price on just about any weight oil you need and Walmart's stock is usually less than 2 months old.

Personally, I like to watch the oil and filter sales. A lot of the time the oil deals at Advance or Autozone will be cheaper than Walmart's everyday price. When I can change my oil for 10 or 11 bucks with a good name brand oil like Quaker State and a good quality, American-Made Purolator filter it saves me money for other things. Like gas, for instance.

Jimmy

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just my .02.. Synthetic Blend is crap.. I used in one of my Wife's cars she had and it went poop..

Also used in the Taurus 3.0 FFV motor.. and with in 1,000 miles the oil was black as night and building up thick... and was driven normal.. not really any strain placed on it..

When I flushed the motor it was guming up.. after only 2,000 miles of hearing an engine clatter..

Just FYI.. I would not run that crap to save my life.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I dont get my oil from autozone,advanced ect I get mine at walmart. I get valvoline synblend with a mopar filter out the door for 22.12 I believe I know for a fact its 22. I found that the auto places when they have a sale charge maybe a 1.00 less then what I get it at walmart for and I wont buy anything else other than valvoline and its goes on sale about 2 times a year.
I usually get it at walmart but our walmart doesn't carry durablend (which is what I think you meant by synblend) or any other synthetic blend...

Jimmy, I heard Fram makes a lot of the Mopar filters... that's why I don't buy them, but I guess they don't anymore?

The article says the fields of oil out west will reduce out foreign dependents on oil by 50% over the next 10 years, but we will probably never hear anything about it again and oil will continue to rise in cost. It's just how that stuff works. Greedy, greedy people trying to make billions of the oil when people can't even afford to drive to work when it's $4.50 a gallon. It's part of the reason why the economy took a turn for the worst to begin with. Working at a sawmill, all the truckers wanted a 20% additional charge for gas and oil being so expensive and soon enough we couldn't afford to pay them anymore. I know it was only a part in the economic down turn, but it still wasn't helping anything. I don't like how it's publicly traded either. It should be regulated, but then again the government can't regulate anything properly so it's a lose lose for us. If the government regulated it, the big oil companies would push them to keep raising the price. With the findings of that oil out west, the oil prices should drop dramatically but they won't. They will continue to increase which makes me sick. I can't afford to drive my truck if gas is $4 a gallon and this summer if that's the case I will have to sell it. I don't need a truck that bad. My father always has his if I really need one.

Last edited by bpark8824; 02-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 PM
01KotaQuad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol autozone too....I got Castrol 5qt and it came with free Fram Tough Guard filter

Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Just my .02.. Synthetic Blend is crap.. I used in one of my Wife's cars she had and it went poop..

Also used in the Taurus 3.0 FFV motor.. and with in 1,000 miles the oil was black as night and building up thick... and was driven normal.. not really any strain placed on it..

When I flushed the motor it was guming up.. after only 2,000 miles of hearing an engine clatter..

Just FYI.. I would not run that crap to save my life.
Some synthetic blends are because they contain only 5% synthetic but it depends on the brand. I'm still trying to figure out how much Castrol Synblend is. I've hear 20%, 30% and 5%. I hoping for 20 but you never know.

The thing is, it is better than conventional if only by a marginally effect. Therefore your problem would have occurred either way IMO. What brand were you using? Is there ANY evidence what so ever your wife's car stopped running because of the oil? I can almost guarantee that the oil was not the case. Engines don't just stop running because they don't like the oil in them. How many changes did you run it for in your wife's car and how many miles were on it? There is a lot more to it then just the oil.

Not trying to get on your case, just trying to figure out what went wrong.

Quick Reply: Good deal at Advance