2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dakota headlight switch/dimmer question and foglight removal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
cvc7chris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dakota headlight switch/dimmer question and foglight removal question

I got 2 questions. i got a 2002 Dodge dakota Quad pick up..

1) where can i buy the button for the headlight button where if turns on left of the steering wheel. the same one that controls the foglights when you pull it? mine works but when i pull the whole button comes out!! anyone on this forum have one for sale? i can buy just the button or the whole panel/switch..it's gotta have the dome setting for a pick-up..

2) my mom's got a durango she wants to sell. but i seen the fronts are the same. i wanna swap her fog lights into my truck since they are nicer on hers, they are the same years (2002 durango and 2002 dakota) whats the easiest way of doing so. i seen a screw for adjusting on the top of the fog lense but i doubt that will do it. Anyone have a little mini turorial on how and i would also appreciate is someone knew how to swap the headlights. i looked but seems like a pain in the butt. but if it's easy. she said i can go ahead and swap them. as long as both fit ok and work fine.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
cvc7chris

bumpppp

Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 AM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

It looks like they are the same as mine and I just replaced my fogs last month. Easiest way I found is to first detach the rubber strip that runs up the inside edge of the headlight assembly and move it out of the way. Next, remove the turn signal/side marker lights by removing the torx screw (think it's a T20) that is recessed in at the lower outside corner of the headlight, and pull them straight out (not too hard or you'll yank the wiring apart). Then remove the headlight by removing the 3 bolts holding it in (again don't rip the wires out). If you look/feel just over the fogs inside the bumper, you will find the two bolts that hold them on. It's a little bit of a PITA, but it's doable. I do recommend using some kind of liquid wrench first and using a short ratchet as there's not a lot of room to work. So that's it in a nutshell.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
cvc7chris

Nice man! i might look into it. i defenetly need the fogs done!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 AM
cvc7chris

Fogs were supper easy! i won't be doing the headlights..i just want the dimmer fixed.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:49 AM
cycodude
Professional
Location: Live: Silverdale, WA; Work: WA, CA, VA, GA, FL; From: WV

As for the switch assembly, I would check your local junkyard or ebay...

Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 AM
cvc7chris

yeah i looked on ebay but didn't find crap or maybe i didn't search right and my junkyards have no dakotas in it period. i'd have to go out of town maybe. i thought i'd have better luck on this forum lol. i've also got a question about my truck stalling in reverse sometimes or under load like turning while stopped? i heard i should clean out the IAC motor (valve) and the throttle body. where is the IAC located on the 3.9l v6 motor? and i've cleaned the IAC in hondas all the time before. shouldn't be much different on this. any help would be apreciated

Quick Reply: 2002 dakota headlight switch/dimmer question and foglight removal question