2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case Part #...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I answered one of my own questions, and now have a couple of other questions...

First, I can determine the rear output spline count by dropping the driveshaft and counting...just remove the four bolts, pull it out, and count the end where it hooks to t-case...correct?

Second, and this has me perplexed...

I have talked to four different transmission places...FOUR...and these are actual transmission shops...not Belle Tire or Midas or whatnot...transmission shops...

ALL of them inform me that my truck DOES NOT use the same transfer case as the A/T truck does...they further inform me that there are NO used M/T transfer cases in Michigan...

And, finally, that it could be $1000 to $2000 to have my case rebuilt (which is the only option, since there are no suitable used t-cases around)...

WTF????

Why would 4 different transmission shops tell me the same exact thing if it was not true? Are all 4 of these places really lying???? Or, is it the case that there is a mystery M/T specific transfer case???

I am starting to wonder, since the more i look at t-cases...the more I notice that they ALL specify A/T...and not a single one specifies M/T...

UGH...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

I am looking for a single person that has a '99 Dakota with a 5.2 V8 and a 5 speed that has replaced a transfer case...if you are out there, would you kindly share the part number with me...please?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It looks like the input shaft length is different, I'm not sure though. Try http://www.car-part.com

There's one in KY. About a 300 mile drive.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM
sleddoctor

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT
Thanks for the helpful post. I think I will do this if I can figure out the part to buy.

My truck has 23 spline front input. All V8s did.

The difference is the rear output. Could be 27 spline or 32 spline. I am no mechanic so bear with me...

How am I supposed to figure out how many splines there are? I mean, do I really have to take it apart to look and count or is there some other way? If I do have to take it apart, what precisely is the rear output that I am looking at?
I have a nv 231d from a 98 dakota and it has 27 rear spline. I found a nv 231d from a 98 durango but it has 32 rear spline. can i use it if i get the matching rear drive shaft yoke that has the 32 spline match?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM
dino30

ok , I know this is a year old ... But did you ever fix this ? What was the difference on the case's ? I have a 99 4x4 5.2 Auto , and I am trying to find the trans output spline count or the t-case input spline count ... I want to build a doubler , but because my case isnt leaking I dont want to pull it down if I cant find the correct parts first ...

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Part #...