2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
snowy canuk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry argghh i hate electrical issues

my battery on my '99 dakota isn't being charged as im driving. thats mean my alternater is done right? is there anything else it maybe? also theres an ad on kijiji for a '93 parts truck with a 5.2 in it, would the alternater fit my 3.9?

thanks for any help

Edited update: truck seemed to have fixed itself, drove into town today and everything was great, 14.6v charging. got in it to come home and i noticed it was only putting out roughly 10v according to the dash gauge. sure enough by the time im rolling in the lane the battery has been run down. so i grab the multi meter to check things over, checked the fuse. seemed fine, checked the battery and got 14.8v . so i left it to charge, and just got in from pulling wires and spraying with electronic contact cleaner. could it just be some corrsion and loose contact points?

Last edited by snowy canuk; 03-03-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull the alt and get it tested to be sure you can get it done at almost any parts store. You might as well get something new why get something that might or might not be good.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

i had a similiar problem a few months ago i took the alt out and had it tested and it was fine. turned out the battery just wasnt taking a charge.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 AM
snowy canuk
Amateur

figured i could pick one up out of a scrapper for little more then pocket cash. trying to save as much money as i can for gas and insurance.

the battery charges up and will hold it when nothing is draining it ( like lights while your trying to make it back into the driveway ) sounds like its going to end up at the mechanics again, i had it in there before the weekend because it wouldnt fire and start, but he couldn't recreate the problem so i got it back and have driven it a grand total of 5 concessions lol thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
snowy canuk
Amateur

to the top