2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Deal or No Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Deal or No Deal?

Looking at a '97 Dak. V6, 4x4, auto, 202k mi, xcab. Been sitting almost 2 years as the original owner has been deployed to the sandbox. His brother is selling it.

Stock suspension, needs ball joints. Drive shaft is out, needs re-mounted, a bolt by the yoke broke and needs replaced.

It's primer black, body is in good shape, aside from the tailgate, which needs replaced. Frame is pretty much rust-free. Exhaust from cat-back is pretty rusty and needs re-done.

Newer 31" BFGs on it. Everything behind the wheels looks to be in great shape. Almost no rust.

Starts right up, sounds strong. Slight initial knock. Haven't seen it move though, as the driveshaft is out, and didn't want to see her run 4x2 with just the front wheels.

He's asking $1200 for it.

What's a fair price for both parties, considering that it needs ball joints, driveshaft work, tail gate, paint, battery, exhaust, etc?

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Time 2 Merc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any pics, and any chance to test drive it? That is a lot of miles and don't really know how they are at that mileage range and what to look for, but for $1200 why not?

Also welcome to the forum! if not already welcomed

Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say 1,200 seems fair since it books for more than that but thats for good condition. Pics would help out ask him whats the lowest he will go prob 1k im sure. As long as everything is ok engine and tranny wise I say its a good deal

Old 03-09-2011, 06:15 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Time 2 Merc
Got any pics, and any chance to test drive it? That is a lot of miles and don't really know how they are at that mileage range and what to look for, but for $1200 why not?

Also welcome to the forum! if not already welcomed

Thanks for the welcome!

Didn't get to test drive it. With the driveshaft out, I didn't think it'd be a good idea to run it with just the front wheels. He says the tranny/torque converter/driveshaft were rebuilt @ 187k miles. I'll have to see if he has any docs on that. So without any docs, it'll basically be me hoping the tranny is good, since I don't have a way to really test it out now.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/2252625721.html
<-- the CL link w/ some pics

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I'd say 1,200 seems fair since it books for more than that but thats for good condition. Pics would help out ask him whats the lowest he will go prob 1k im sure. As long as everything is ok engine and tranny wise I say its a good deal
edmunds.com is saying about $800 for average condition. Closer to $500 for rough condition. Says $1500 for clean - but it'd need ball joints/driveshaft/tailgate/exhaust/paint/inspection/more to be considered clean...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Lanc. are you? Heck, for $500 I might get it and do a diesel swap! I mean, I cant get enough of my truck...so getting one that I can run cheaper would be awesome...

Quick Reply: Deal or No Deal?