2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

got another v8 dakota, its a fixer upper tho

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a quick question if you don't mind...

Remember I am asking about something I have never done before...

How difficult is it to swap out the fender? I have a pretty good collection of hand tools...I recently did axle shafts and hubs, so I am not 100% mechanically inept, but I am also not a body shop...

It looks easy, but I don't want to start it and have to go all Harry Gant throwback Nascar style with missing body panels when I cannot get the job finished...

Is it as easy as it looks?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
00dakSport
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem i felt the same way. i only had basic hand tools and i got the fender off after a couple hours(air tools could cut that in half). that was just alot of bolts, the bumper has 6 and the fender has maybe 20 plus all the electronics inside the fender. and we didn't get junkyard parts, we got aftermarket so i think thats why some of the gaps are off.

the hardest part on this truck was the damage to some of the mounting points so they had to be adjusted with a block of wood and a hammer. another reason for some of the gaps. it is good practicing on someone elses truck tho.

Last edited by 00dakSport; 03-10-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alleymad99SLT
I have a quick question if you don't mind...

Remember I am asking about something I have never done before...

How difficult is it to swap out the fender? I have a pretty good collection of hand tools...I recently did axle shafts and hubs, so I am not 100% mechanically inept, but I am also not a body shop...

It looks easy, but I don't want to start it and have to go all Harry Gant throwback Nascar style with missing body panels when I cannot get the job finished...

Is it as easy as it looks?
Yeah its not that hard of a job.Me and a buddy changed my whole front end in a few hours

Quick Reply: got another v8 dakota, its a fixer upper tho