2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota Ignition Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Proaudio150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota Ignition Issue

This is a VERY intermittent issue. Seems no rhyme or reason when it happens other then seems to happen more often when its raining or there is more moisture in the air. The truck will either not start or die while running and may or... may not start up right away. Also there seems to be no spark when this happens.

The plugs, wires, cap, rotor and pickup coil have all been replaced. Have been told it also might be the crankshaft position sensor or the ECM.

Not sure what will do. Dealer said probably around 2 hour diagnostic time...at $80 an hour. As I read it looks like crankshaft sensor could cause the issue....but then again so did the Pickup coil and I am sure the ECM could be also. No codes being thrown up.

So I am kinda stuck with either bring it to the dealer and hope to get a good answer at the end of the dianostic time. Also could replace the Crank sensor since its cheap enough.

Where would you go from here?

P.S. New to the forum...hope to get good advice here and become more active.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Proaudio150

Well went to retrieve the truck this morning and still no start. It does looked like it rained last night and a good deal moisture in the air. Have to wait till this afternoon to trouble shoot or better yet have it towed to the dealer.

Still would love advice to get it started....even if only long enough to have it towed to dealer...saves the tow bill... Tks

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

u may try the first gen dakota section.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Proaudio150

Originally Posted by sl2racer
u may try the first gen dakota section.
Ya know...thanks for pointing the obvious...lol. I must have had a brain fart from being frustrated with the truck... Sorry for the mispost...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

no prob

Quick Reply: 93 Dakota Ignition Issue