2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Average Miles for Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I always say my Dakota is like an old and trusted friend. It has never let me down and never left me walking. If you take good care of your truck and know what to look out for, listen and feel for and you know how it runs, sounds and reacts, trust your truck and have a good safe trip. At 103K your truck is just getting broken in.

Jimmy
I highly agree with you. i drive 300 mile round trips for work and every spring - fall i take a 410 mile round trip to my grandpas cottage for the 49' chev i stored up there. my truck has only let me down three times and 1 was my own damn fault the other 2 where just destined to be a problem being 18yrs old parts.

i'd kill to have 103k on my truck...lucky

Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder98110
my motor grenaded at 130k but that's a whole nother story, my fault.
Its really surprising but it was all your fault dude haha at least your getting a ho motor so still awesome.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Time 2 Merc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked mine up around december and it had 75 k on it and i've only put about 500 on it since. I really do think i got lucky especially with the price as well. 7000 flat.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I just rolled 126,000 today!! Still running strong since I got her 4,000 miles ago. I am putting on the V8 Holley throttle body tomorrow I am excited.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:38 AM
bmgstang
Rookie

My 04 is pushin 65k, definitely not average. I was lucky to buy it with 30k a couple years ago. I'm glad to hear these trucks are seeing high mileage, just wish they got a little better mpg.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:01 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Over 270K on my 97. I make 1000 mile round trips to louisiana and back every couple of weeks. (And their roads suck a$$). I do all my own maintenance and repair. Last trip home I finally had to replace my transmission because I have a tendancy to be kinda hard on it. I went ahead and replaced the stock clutch while I was there even though it never gave me any problems. It was only .020 out of spec. This truck has not been pampered and I fully expect another 100K.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by wewanaplay
Over 270K on my 97. I make 1000 mile round trips to louisiana and back every couple of weeks. (And their roads suck a$$). I do all my own maintenance and repair. Last trip home I finally had to replace my transmission because I have a tendancy to be kinda hard on it. I went ahead and replaced the stock clutch while I was there even though it never gave me any problems. It was only .020 out of spec. This truck has not been pampered and I fully expect another 100K.
I heard their roads are really bad. I know what you mean though. The roads up here in Vermont (and all of New England for that matter) are TERRIBLE in the spring from all the frost heaves and what not. There are straight up craters in the road and holes everywhere. They are falling apart like there is no tomorrow. It has definetly put a beating on my suspension, which is why I have replaced a lot of it.

But as far as drive train it's been solid as can be.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

The road system in louisiana is just a victim of very little maintenance and lots of heavy traffic. Espescially the southern portion.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:01 PM
patchelect
Professional

My '01 has a whopping 48,500 on it since new so I doubt that total mileage will be a concern for a while!!

OTOH I also have a '94 Mazda Miata that is at 148K with no concerns on my part to take road trips of any length. I think that today engines are good for well into the 200+ range. Regular maintenance is all you need to do. And contrary to popular myths, oil changes at 7500 miles is all you need to do. We don't have lead in our gas so the major contributors to oil breakdown have been eliminated. Plus oil formulation today is far superior to oil formulations of even 15-20 years ago.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:09 PM
qcdakota5sp

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I heard their roads are really bad. I know what you mean though. The roads up here in Vermont (and all of New England for that matter) are TERRIBLE in the spring from all the frost heaves and what not. There are straight up craters in the road and holes everywhere. They are falling apart like there is no tomorrow. It has definetly put a beating on my suspension, which is why I have replaced a lot of it.

But as far as drive train it's been solid as can be.
Aww, whenever I come down to NY or VT I'm so IMPRESSED by the Roads. Drive around for a few days in Montreal and you'll see what I mean.

My truck is at 100,000km now but it remains to be see how long it will last up here. I'm assuming that it won't last as long as it would if I were somewhere warmer and with better roads.

Quick Reply: Average Miles for Dakota?