2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

O2 sensors installed - bugger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors installed - bugger!

Tomorrow may be the first day of spring but I've got my spring tune-up and 100K maintenance done!

Had the dealer do the tranny service (I hate messing with fluids) but I changed out the O2 sensors and did a few other periodic maintenance items myself.

Read a number of posts on this forum regarding installation of new O2 sensors. Best advice I heeded was to hose them down with penetrating lubricant (PB Blaster stuff) LAST NIGHT before going to bed. That gave it about 8 hours to do it's thing. I got an early start this morning thinking I'd be a while getting those things loose (I'm 98% sure they were stock) but the penetrating lub made all the difference. It was cake getting them off. Unplugging the pre-cat sensor though was a PITA!!! Thankfully whoever engineered the plug made it so you press down to release the clip. I figured that out on the post-cat sensor first.

So, hopefully this post will help someone else in the future. I just have two sensors, on the passenger side. If you've got big hands, maybe see if you can bribe your kid or a neighbor with small hands to help you get the old pre-cat sensor unplugged and re-installed. That alone took me about 30 minutes total to contort myself and really busted up my knuckles getting the old out and the new in.

Quick Reply: O2 sensors installed - bugger!