2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering Fluid instead of break fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:17 PM
SeanR1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid instead of break fluid?

OK, say someone acciedntally poored about 5oz of power steering pluid into the break resevior instead of break fluid:icon_sma sh:
What type off damage could this cause??

After realzing this I topped it off with the correct DOT3 fluid..
Breaks seem fine, and the break/abs light went off

Thanks,
Sean

Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR1
What type off damage could this cause??
All the rubber parts need be changed. The P/S fluid will destroy the seals. They may seem OK for now, but if they fail it is your brake system...

The system needs to be completely flushed out with clean fluid. Then rebuild or replace the master cylinder, all the wheel cylinders, the calipers. Replace all flexible lines. Replace the ABS system, valves, and the proportioning valve.

Anything else is a gamble.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends how low was it and did you have to pump the breaks to get fluid in it? If so then start replacing everything that has rubber seals. If you just put it in and hit the brakes once or twice then you might just need a flush and new master cylinder.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
SeanR1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ABS/Break lights was on, but it was not that low, well above the break lines..
I just ran out and used a turkey baster/flavor surigene and emptied out the resevoir, and refilled with break fluid for now and will hopefully be able to do a complete flush this weekend..

Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR1
The ABS/Break lights was on, but it was not that low, well above the break lines..
I just ran out and used a turkey baster/flavor surigene and emptied out the resevoir, and refilled with break fluid for now and will hopefully be able to do a complete flush this weekend..
If you dont have to use the truck dont. Make sure you get a good flush I would prob use a bottle of brake fluid just for a flush. If you do it good enough I would say you will prob be fine. I've never had to deal with this so its hard for me to say for sure.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid instead of break fluid?