2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 QC Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
HDPursuit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 QC Suspension

Hey Folks, Have an 02 Quad that I bought awhile back. When I did the shocks I noticed that the bushings and joints were trashed. (Lots of clunking noises). It started wearing out the outside of the tires. Took it to a shop and they said the upper arm bushings and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced and everything else was ok. Told me that the R&P had to be replaced because it and the tie rod ends were built together.

R&P $497
Upper Arm bushings $503 (450 in labor)

+ $89 for alignment

I was looking to rebuild the whole front end a little beefier for this price.

So far I've found the tie rod ends are sold separately (Hate BS artists) and the uppers are under a recall from Dodge, gonna try calling on that on my next day off.

So now that I've been lead done the garden path, How should I tackle this? Any good 'kits' out there that would do the trick?Any other lines of BS from the shops I should look out for?

Thanks

Last edited by HDPursuit; 04-26-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
modain
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The inner and outer tie rods are serviced separately from the R&P unit. If the R&P is good there is no need to replace it just to get new tie rods. Check out RockAuto or eBay - you'll find lots of inexpensive replacement parts. I did this job on my son's 1999 RC a few months back. It's not hard to do at all if you already work on your truck. Just need a new alignment afterward and you're good to go.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Pwall
Veteran

the tie rods are replaceable from the rack. check the sway bar links the ball joints also go bad (if they are riveted on then they are original) and don't use the cheapest parts you can find, the quality sucks. i replaced the tie rods on my front end and when i tighten the jam nut it pulls the alignment out because of the soft metal they used

Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 AM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just about rebuilt my front end with energy suspension parts and my r&p is fine. If the rack begins to move energy suspensions has the bushings for $21 and it takes about 2 hrs to change them out. I have a 2003 QC. I also used rough country shocks that are made at the same factory Rancho is made at. If you don't mind getting greasy you shouid be able to make your $ go allot further. Hope this helped.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
HDPursuit

Thanks Folks, Went to Energy Suspension and for around 500 bucks I can get the parts to do the bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. Are the ball joints the riveted type? I cant remember from when I changed out the shocks. I can recommend the KYB Monomax. Then anything was better than the worn out stock shocks.I've never tackled a front end before so I'm alittle leery, I can turn a wrench and have some air tools, but no garage. Thanks for the tip on Energy Suspension. I wanted to take the suspension up a notch..

Edit: Read the earlier reply about rivets, Thanks

02 Quad 4x4 120k

Last edited by HDPursuit; 04-26-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
HDPursuit

Well, I was out changing plugs @#!$!$ and the ball joints are bolted not riveted. On an 02 were they riveted originally? On a side note does anyone know what the original plugs were? Pulled some Champions that could have been OEM LOL

Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Pwall
Veteran

yes oem ball joints were riveted on, there should be a sticker under the hood telling you the type of plug and gap and other information
these trucks like champions or autolites

Quick Reply: 02 QC Suspension