2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What are your opinions on this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:58 AM
NickCornell
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your opinions on this?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=300553880641&index=14&nav=SEARCH&n id=43323256019&back=1

eBay cai, I feel like you get what you pay for and this is 10% of any name brand cai. Think it's comparable in function? Atleast fractionally?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

It looks ok, but it has no heat shield around the filter. Without the shield, you're still pulling warm air into the engine. The purpose of the Cold Air Intake is to pull cooler air into the cylinders because cooler air is denser. Denser air = more power. This is because the PCM with adjust the amount of fuel mixed with the air to ensure correct stoichiometry (air/fuel mixture). That's why your truck has more power on cold days.

Follow this link to see what some of us Durango guys are doing on a shoestring budget to get true cold air induction...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...m-air-diy.html. If you do something like this, you'll need to upgrade to a washable air filter. If you don't, the paper air filter may get wet when it rains and allow the paper to enter the engine... not good.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I'm planning on doing that, thank you a ton. I'll let you know the results. Probably a project for next weekend

Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

You're welcome. Don't expect an increase in MPG but you will notice a difference in throttle response.
Take pics and let is know how it goes.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a before/after video.. try and simulate driving conditions if you can..

Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

I have one of those sceap Ebay CAI's on my truck (technically a warm air intake...but whatever) and I have definately noticed a lot better throttle response and maybe 1 more MPG...just make sure you clean and oil your filter at every oil change and your good to go. Definitely a good investment.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any of you guys read of on how to make a home brew ram air? its pretty interesting there are a couple threads in the 1st gen durango forum and they seem to work pretty well dont remember the links though but it is worth a search

Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

That what were talking about. Look at the first few posts.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_brown33
any of you guys read of on how to make a home brew ram air? its pretty interesting there are a couple threads in the 1st gen durango forum and they seem to work pretty well dont remember the links though but it is worth a search
I had a work in progress thread on this once.. and I did actually get around to doing it.. i just pulled back the flap not to tear through.. and it sucks.. no big gains.. no better throttle response.. really.. as if you look close enough.. why the CAI (Round cone filters) work better.. is that the flat filter. only uses maybee i'd say 35% of the actual surface area.. yeah take a close look at a K & N or spectre filter after running awhile.. youll see the area right below intake tubing going to the Hat is the most used.. the rest well .. I do not think it gets much air from that area untill you start clogging that little bit of area up..

I'd rather go with just an old school set up round open filter ontop of the motor.. as that is my plan..

Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

cai do alot for you not gas wise but definately throttle response, i bought a k and n 77 series for my quad cab and it made it sound so much better.

Quick Reply: What are your opinions on this?