2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

lift questions. please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Trent479
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift questions. please help

So as i posted before, i want to raise the front end higher then the rear. i have no clue what to do, i have been helped a bit on what i can do but i still dont understand what i would need. . .i talked to a guy at 4wheel parts and said if i lifted the front i wouldnt need to do anything to the back cuz dodge did a good job with the dakotas rear end height. . .soo i want to know how i could lift only the front 3 inches? my truck is an 01 dodge dakota 2wd.
could i do coil spacers that are 3 inches? or body lift just in front?
help me please. . .

Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Here is what I am planning to do this summer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT . You will want something in back though, if you do 3 in front it will leave the rear lower than the front. I will probably do shackles or add-a-leafs in back. Then get some bigger tires and call it a day.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I'd get 2-3 inch body lift, and a helper leaf in the rear

Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

Also I think I know the look you're looking for, trophy truck style perhaps? If so I'd love to see it, im a fan

Old 05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
ryan_brown33
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coils would honestly be your best bet because it will raise the whole front of the vehicle three inches, plus if you wanted more you could do a spacer on top of it. body lift in the front is not even an option. think about how a 3 inch body lift in the front would look. the truck wouldnt be raked like prerunners are, a 3 inch body lift only in front would just raise the cab of the truck 3 inches higher than the bed which would be retarded. coils are really the only option

Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Trent479
Veteran

thanks to you all. i think the coil lift is sweet, that totally slipped my mind! thanks a lot. and yeah, body lift in the front was just a stupid idea, didnt think about it very much.
i want the rear lower then the front to give it a prerunner (trophy truck) look to it because its a 2wd. and yes, ive got wheels in my garage and i will get some bigger tires for it.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

Originally Posted by ryan_brown33
coils would honestly be your best bet because it will raise the whole front of the vehicle three inches, plus if you wanted more you could do a spacer on top of it. body lift in the front is not even an option. think about how a 3 inch body lift in the front would look. the truck wouldnt be raked like prerunners are, a 3 inch body lift only in front would just raise the cab of the truck 3 inches higher than the bed which would be retarded. coils are really the only option
Yeah you're right here, disreguard my last post.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Trent479
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Here is what I am planning to do this summer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT . You will want something in back though, if you do 3 in front it will leave the rear lower than the front. I will probably do shackles or add-a-leafs in back. Then get some bigger tires and call it a day.
with this i can just replace the coils and thats it?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by Trent479
with this i can just replace the coils and thats it?
Like I said, I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you what to watch out for or if you will need any additional tools/parts. But yes those coils should just go right in (with coil compressor). I will most likely get new shocks when I do the lift, and am thinking about getting 1 or 2 inch spacers. That'll bring 4-5 inches of lift, and make me happy. then i gotta do the back lol. with these the front WILL be higher than the back the guy at 4 wheel parts was wrong, unless you wanna be one of those lifted trucks that has a draggy *** haha. Do it right, lift the back too.

Last edited by dirtbiker; 05-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Trent479
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
Like I said, I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you what to watch out for or if you will need any additional tools/parts. But yes those coils should just go right in (with coil compressor). I will most likely get new shocks when I do the lift, and am thinking about getting 1 or 2 inch spacers. That'll bring 4-5 inches of lift, and make me happy. then i gotta do the back lol. with these the front WILL be higher than the back the guy at 4 wheel parts was wrong, unless you wanna be one of those lifted trucks that has a draggy *** haha. Do it right, lift the back too.
okay cool thanks! yeah i will probably do the same, but start with just these coils then do spacers and add a leaf in the back as i get the money to do all that. i am one of those guys who wants to have the rear lower then the front. i think they look cool, and since mine is only 2wd, i dont need to get all nutty with a lift. thanks for the help! i appreciate it. i will post pics when i get it all built.

Quick Reply: lift questions. please help