2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rpm's jumping need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm's jumping need help!

So my abs and brake light had been coming on so i was told to replace the speed sensor, did it. Weird thing though when the lights didnt come on id have random rpm jumping like the tps was bad. Well after replaceing the speed sensor i went ahead and put in a new tps yesterday. Well, i'll use today as an example, on my way to work my abs and brake light came on plus my rpms are still jumping randomly! On my way back from work the lights didnt come on but still had jumping rpm's. So now im worried either my tranny is randomly slipping or my map sensor is randomly telling my ecu to give it more gas due to my plenum gasket being bad (i checked it yesterday with the throttle body off and could see oil residue). So i guess i actually have a brake issue somewhere but im mostly concerned with the other problem. Also i checked my tranny fluid and it has about an inch and a half to much on the dip stick so i need to drain some out but could that have anything to do with it? Please help and thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

any ideas? i got a 1400 mile round trip to make next week and was hopein i could fix this. Could these also be symptoms of my torque converter goin out?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Explain more on the rpms jumping does it do it while on the gas or when you let off? Mine jump up and down when I let off the gas sometimes its bad other days its perfectly fine. Seems like if I get on it real good the problem would go away. Might be a map sensor but idk.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

well i got this posted an the second gen ram section to, well after driving just driving it i went around the block, didnt happen, so i jumped on the highway and it did it in 4th twice at 2300 and 2400 rpms then while turning around it did it at about 1500 rpms in 3rd never in first or second. And that was driving a total of about 10 miles and the 2 times in 4th were one after another. and it does it while on the throttle, a guy from the ram section thinks it could be the tcc if its only doin it in 3rd and 4th

Quick Reply: rpm's jumping need help!