2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Minor body work and new paint!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
01blackdak
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor body work and new paint!

Okay so I have work off today so I took some look over everything on the truck and take some before pictures and order factory paint for the truck.

The rear bumper has some pretty bad surface rust on it thanks to some lady rear ending the truck in a parking lot some 6 years ago, so it'll get a good sanding and fresh coat of paint.

The front bumper has nothing wrong with it, just I want to paint the plastic part to match the rear bumper and rest of the truck.
IMG_20110718_123836.jpg

This is where the other body work will take place, just a little ding on the passenger door with some cracks in the paint with small rust so I'll sand it, hammer it out, prime it, paint it, clear it and good as new.
IMG_20110718_123806.jpg

The rear fender flares have gotten warn down to the primer from 11 years of road debris and it really looks ugly
IMG_20110718_123931.jpg
IMG_20110718_123914.jpg

I'll also be painting the door handles, and some other minor scratches on the truck but those pictures are really the major parts I'll be doing.
The paint is shipping tomorrow, and should be here within a week hopefully in the next weekend or so I'll be working on it.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 PM
01blackdak
Professional

So I have an update nothing really good though,
The paint was supposed to be here either today or tomorrow, But I found out it has not shipped yet! which I don't understand since I ordered it monday.

Something else, this past Sunday my friends and I went mountain biking down at mohican about and hours drive and apperantly one of the bikes left a nice larger scratch that went down to the metal on the rear panel of the bed...

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

Truck will look good as new when your done. If I was you I would paint the fender flares grey. I have a white dak and have thought about painting mine either black or grey, but havent gotten the ***** to do it yet.

I also painted my side mirrors to match the truck, and my truck have the chrome/grey plastic front and rear bumpers so I painted the grey plastic parts white to match the truck, looks so much better. I was going to paint the door handles but thought it would be a major pain in the *** so I just got some of those chromed stainless steel door handle covers off of ebay and it looks really good. Wouldn't look good on your truck though cuz you don't have any other chrome.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM
01blackdak
Professional

Originally Posted by MikeCzipri
Truck will look good as new when your done. If I was you I would paint the fender flares grey. I have a white dak and have thought about painting mine either black or grey, but havent gotten the ***** to do it yet.

I also painted my side mirrors to match the truck, and my truck have the chrome/grey plastic front and rear bumpers so I painted the grey plastic parts white to match the truck, looks so much better. I was going to paint the door handles but thought it would be a major pain in the *** so I just got some of those chromed stainless steel door handle covers off of ebay and it looks really good. Wouldn't look good on your truck though cuz you don't have any other chrome.
Yeah, I can't wait! and as for painting the fenders grey, I think it would look cool but I like the blacked out look more hah.

And yeah I don't like dakotas that have a lot of chrome on them a small amount is good for these trucks in my opinion. The most chrome on my truck is the badge on the front of the hood haha I thought about spraying it with night shade but decided not to.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
01blackdak
Professional

Okay so the paint for my truck just came today. I went with rattle cans since I don't have an spray gun but either way it'll look just as good.

IMG_20110729_155903.jpg

I should be starting on it either tomorrow, if not then, sunday or monday. I'll keep this posted on how everything goes and turns out.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, can't wait to see the rear bumper because mine is starting to look similar to yours. Not quite that bad yet but only in a matter of time.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 PM
01blackdak
Professional

Okay so I'm taking a little lunch break and though I'd post up what I've gotten done so far.

First I took off the fender flares last night sanded them down and put bondo on the rough spots.

Screw you cheap plastic clips!
IMG_20110729_204140.jpg
IMG_20110729_221007.jpg

This morning I sanded down the bondo to make everything nice and smooth on the fender flares (I'm Still sanding them, but I have the first coat of etching primer on)

Working space

Ghetto paint booth, Win! lol

Still winning!

I removed the bumper covers and the plastic step covers to sand the bumper.

I have the bumper almost sanded and ready for guess what.... More sanding! The rust spots have gone down just have to do more work and it'll be ready for bondo.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM
01blackdak
Professional

Okay so I've managed to get quite a lot done last night/today.
I got the bumper covers sanded, put bondo on deep scratches and what not, and primed and ready for paint.

As for the fender flares... They are done! kinda..

Fresh paint!

This is the defect, paint drip, could be clear also I'm not sure but either way it's getting sanded.

And the bumper, probably the biggest piece of work yet, as I have spent probably a full two days sanding.
Sprayed whole bumper with etching primer

The passenger door is fixed now and is a lot better than before.

There is still a lot more to do and I am very tired.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

niiice work! wish i had the patience for body work

Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

Hey man, stealing your bed sheet idea!

Quick Reply: Minor body work and new paint!