2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

rocker arm troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM
justen94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker arm troubles

ok start by saying i have a 2000 dodge dakota with 4.7 Lost compression on number 2. Pulled the valve cover and rocker arm was jus laying there. i reinstalled the rocker arm but it was very sloppy even after turning engine over with pullbar. no way it would have stayed in place. I was told that the tappett could be bad so i went and bought one. 14 bucks. havent had a chance to put it back together yet. i was already pricing engines cause mine has really high mileage and i know how costly timing chain and headwork is but could i really get off this easy. 14 bucks????? I need feedback please. oh yeah rocker arm appears to be fine

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

you have the special tool for the spring? If so try it. Id do a good inspection of the rocker arm, compare it to another make sure its not bent and spins freely...

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 PM
justen94

I have left the rocker arm with my motor guy to be checked out. He said appears to be fine but wouldnt hurt to replace. So imma get another one. Dont have the tool but dodge place said if number 2 is top dead center rocker arm will slide back in place. Thanks for the help, planning on putting back together tomorrow, will let u know how it goes. Praying it works. My backup 85 chevy 4x4 does not have air and loves gas more than dakota. haha

Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Just Farmin'

I just bought a 2003 durango with the 4.7l and 78000 miles. It has the same problem.
I knew it had a miss when i bought it and found the intake and exhaust rocker arms laying in the head when I took the valve cover off. Cam looked good and didn't see any damage to the valve stems or spring. Bought two new ones that were a little different and put them in. Cranked it up and still missed. Found out I had one off on the passenger side bank. Saw no damage so I put it back in. Ran perfect. No engine noise at all. Let it set for 2 days cranked it up and now I am missing again with a little lifter noise. Think I have one off again. Does anyone know it the newer designed rocker arms alone will help any? The hole for the roller is elongated more. I run 5w30 oil and am using a motorcraft fl-1a oil filter(please forgive me). Also has a flowmaster muffler. Would the lack of restriction in the exhaust cause less tension? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:42 AM
justen94

ok crate I see what you are saying now about the spring tool. I have never messed with overhead cams but I am waiting for the tool to arrive now. The valve was stuck. Got it free but still has carbon build up I guess. The valve wont seal off and therefore wont stay up for me to get spring back on. Gonna try valve seal and more cleaning, and prayers that its not bent. Im trying to get away with not taking cam or the head off for obvious reasons. Dont want to drop too much in top end of this motor since it has 240,000 on it. Am i just wasting my time?? Should I just rebuild whole motor. It ran great before this and has 150 lbs on all other cylinders. HELP!!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the valve isn't bent.
(Just guessing).
Borrow the tool from a parts-store.
Odds are, they'll let you use it for free.

Last edited by JBs DAK; 07-26-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last i checked timing kits were 250 to 300 bucks and according to my friend that works at dodge the heads cant be milled according to dodge even thou it has been done so if there out of wack to much you may need heads bu thats worse case

Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
justen94

Ok thanks to all. I have already ordered valve compressor. Couldnt find anywhere around here that had one that would do the job without removing the cam. Im gonna try putting that valve spring back on when tool arrives. Wasnt but like 40 bucks from Tools4autos.com. And then flushin engine really good and changing oil. Ive used Lucas oil treatment every oil change since ive had the truck and I read on another thread on here that lucas is bad for these engines so guess Ill try something else. Hopefully she will run strong again. Gotta do something deer season will be here before you know it. hahaha. Ill let yall know how it goes since this seems to be a pretty common thing for these engines. No complaints from me tho. mine has been great and has hard miles on it. Great truck!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
rlloz

I had the same problem w/ rocker arm...happened after I overheated my 4.7 2001 Dakota towing our trailer. Coolant was leaking into cylinder #3 from a blown head gasket. So pulled the heads off, had them machined w/ new valve guides for $480.....bought gasket kit and head bolts on Ebay..had to buy 2 specialty tools( timing chain lock & damper installer)... so for under $ 850 I did the job myself that would have cost over $3100!!

Quick Reply: rocker arm troubles