2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tricky starting and shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 PM
kubiej21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricky starting and shifting.

Hello all, I am new to this forum so if I have not posted this in the proper place I am sorry.

I just purchased a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7L and a 5 speed. The truck has 158,000 miles on it and runs pretty well for the most part. However, starting and shifting from 2nd to 3rd can be... interesting.

For starting:
In order to start the truck, I cannot push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. If I do, the starter will not even turn over. I have to lift the pedal 1-2" off of the floor to start the engine. I'm thinking this might be some sort of electrical problem but I am not certain.

For shifting:
Shifting from second to third gear can be pretty difficult sometimes. The best way I can describe it is that it feels as though the shift point for 3rd gear moves around.
Also, shifting into reverse is sometimes impossible. The only way I am able to shift into reverse is by shifting into first and then going back to reverse.

I'm hoping these issues aren't all tranny related, but I really don't have enough knowledge about transmissions to be able to properly diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Tricky starting and shifting.