2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

97 Dakota not shifting to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
bombtrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dakota not shifting to 3rd

Hello,
I recently purchased a 97 dakota with transmission issues. The vehicle shifts smoothly if it has been sitting and is cold if you apply little gas, but as soon as it warms up, or you get in the gas hard it just redlines in 2nd and will not shift into 3rd. It continues to do this until you turn it off and let it sit for an hour plus.
Question 1- The check engine light came on, and i pulled the codes and got a p1756 (Governer pressure not equal to target value) .... I have heard that the pressure sensor and solenoid needs replaced when you get these codes, but wouldnt it get stuck in first, and have this problem all the time if these items need replaced?
Question 2- At the end of the tranny wiring harness where the plug goes into the speed sensor there is a small two prong plug that is not hooked to anything, should this be hooked somewhere?
Question 3- The overdrive button on the shifter was loose when i bought the truck, and the od would come on and off, so i took it out and noticed the wire was frayed. I taped the wire up, and took the button out, and put it back in, but now overdrive is on all the time, is there a fuse somewhere?
Question 4- I read that dodge transmission go into limp mode in 2nd gear if the computer is getting wrong readings. Would the overdrive button have anything to do with these problems?

I would appreciate any input on my problems.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 AM
bombtrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worked on the truck for the past couple of hours... Unhooked the battery, changed out the tps... Adjusted the TV cable.
Truck shifted better for the first 15 minutes or so, actually shifting into 3rd and 4th, but still holding gears too long. Then I took off from a red light fairly quickly, and it hung in 2nd again.
I need to figure this out asap as this is my only vehicle right now. Does anybody have any suggestions? Govenor sensor and solenoid?

Quick Reply: 97 Dakota not shifting to 3rd