2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

A tip for the NV3500 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A tip for the NV3500 5-speed

Just wanted to post something that I discovered yesterday. I changed out the gear lube in my transmission and when I went to use my old hand operated fluid pump - the one that is made to screw onto the top of a bottle of gear oil, the pickup tube on it would not stay in the bottom of the pump body. It was hard to pump the new lube in that way but I managed to get the first quart in.

I was having a lot of trouble using the pump with the second quart so I removed the right front wheel. There is a small gap between the inner fender liner and the frame in the wheel well. What I did was use one of the screw-on pointed fill caps from a bottle of gear lube and cut the end off of it. I screwed that on to my Synchromesh bottle. I had a piece of about 3/8" inside diameter rubber hose, about 18 inches long, stuck one end of the hose on the cap with the end cut off then routed the other end of the hose through the gap between the frame and fender liner, into the fill hole on my transmission while holding the bottle up so no lube dripped out. Then I had plenty of room inside the fenderwell to tip the bottle up and pour the Synchromesh right in. No mess, no drips and it was a lot easier. I just filled the transmission until the lube dripped out of the bottom of the fill hole, and I knew it had the right amount in it then. I did check it with my finger to see that the level was just below the bottom of the fill hole. I made a hell of a mess with the pump on that first bottle because I had to keep starting and stopping when the pickup tube came loose.

Some of you probably already knew about or used this or a different method yourself. It worked for me. I don't think I will ever use one of the pumps again, at least not on my transmission fill anyway.

Jimmy

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Just wanted to post something that I discovered yesterday. I changed out the gear lube in my transmission and when I went to use my old hand operated fluid pump - the one that is made to screw onto the top of a bottle of gear oil, the pickup tube on it would not stay in the bottom of the pump body. It was hard to pump the new lube in that way but I managed to get the first quart in.

I was having a lot of trouble using the pump with the second quart so I removed the right front wheel. There is a small gap between the inner fender liner and the frame in the wheel well. What I did was use one of the screw-on pointed fill caps from a bottle of gear lube and cut the end off of it. I screwed that on to my Synchromesh bottle. I had a piece of about 3/8" inside diameter rubber hose, about 18 inches long, stuck one end of the hose on the cap with the end cut off then routed the other end of the hose through the gap between the frame and fender liner, into the fill hole on my transmission while holding the bottle up so no lube dripped out. Then I had plenty of room inside the fenderwell to tip the bottle up and pour the Synchromesh right in. No mess, no drips and it was a lot easier. I just filled the transmission until the lube dripped out of the bottom of the fill hole, and I knew it had the right amount in it then. I did check it with my finger to see that the level was just below the bottom of the fill hole. I made a hell of a mess with the pump on that first bottle because I had to keep starting and stopping when the pickup tube came loose.

Some of you probably already knew about or used this or a different method yourself. It worked for me. I don't think I will ever use one of the pumps again, at least not on my transmission fill anyway.

Jimmy
You couldn't have posted this last week when I did mine? Haha, oh well. I actually used the pump and didn't have too much trouble although your method does seem easier. Thanks anyway, I will remember it for next time.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha...yea, I think I pointed my bottle up between somewhere...I don't have the luxury of the pump...I got the tube in the top and squeeze method....

I try to monitor how much goes in, so I know when it gets close to full...My luck I'd pour for half a quart over, and just end up with more mess to clean up...ha!

Good tip!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pull the shifter out. This also allows me run 3 full quarts of fluid.

Quick Reply: A tip for the NV3500 5-speed