2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default pinging?

I sent this to hemifever, thought I would post here as well.

I'm running the 91 tune on 93 gas, and it's pinging bad at 2500 and above. At least, it sounds like pinging. It starts right at 2500, throttle position doesn't matter (I can be WOT or just barely cracked enough for that RPM) and it just starts sounding mad. Almost like the sound that a loose/mis-aligned chain makes. I thought it could be the timing chain hitting the timing cover (that's almost the exact sound I'm hearing), but that would be all the time plus no reason to start so suddenly. So all I can think of is that it's pinging. It's not turning on the engine light, but I'm trying to avoid hitting that RPM as well.

Have the rockers on my desk, haven't installed them, but had 4.10's done today. But I've been hearing the pinging for a couple of days now. It's worse than it was on the 93 tune. Granted I'm using QuikTrip gas and haven't tried any Shell/name brand gas (and just filled up today at QT @ 17.5 gallons) so it might be bad gas, but 2 tanks in a row.....

Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

even with your 180 tstat? same thing happened to me, but i couldn't go more than 5mph and it sounded like a diesel engine was about to explode. i loaded it back to stock and filled up with higher octane gas. he will tell you the same thing. the timing is too advanced for the gas your using.

how do you like the gears and sct tuner????????????

Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by thunder98110
even with your 180 tstat? same thing happened to me, but i couldn't go more than 5mph and it sounded like a diesel engine was about to explode. i loaded it back to stock and filled up with higher octane gas. he will tell you the same thing. the timing is too advanced for the gas your using.

how do you like the gears and sct tuner????????????
well the 180 tstat hasn't helped much...needle is lower, but clutch fan is still howling, temp peg straight up or further. I suppose I should check coolant level and burp it...oops, haven't checked since changed stat....

It was pinging from about 4200-5000 shift point on the 93 tune with Quiktrip 93, he told me to back it down the 91, and it got worse....I guess I'll try shell gas on next tank....

Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
magnethead
Legend

So i check this morning, and tank is right at the add mark. So i filled it back to full. But needle is still straight up- i think there is air in the system. It came right down once I escaped the traffic and hit 40mph.

How would I burp the system? I've done traditional systems, but never a system like our trucks have. Normally you just run it depressurized with cap off, but on our trucks, it would just push water out. Is there a special way?

Quick Reply: pinging?