2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Anybody have a video on how to remove coil springs on 2k dakota 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a video on how to remove coil springs on 2k dakota 2wd?

My truck is riding rougher now and I will eventually try to replace all suspension components since it is cheaper than new truck. I want to pull the coil springs to see if the insulators are shot and a video would be nice lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking no vid but here you go

How to Replace Springs on a Dodge Dakota

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Things You'll Need
Jack, Jack stands, Open-end wrench set, Sledgehammer, Replacement springs

1 Park the Dakota on a level concrete or asphalt surface, then apply the parking brake. Lift the front of the Dakota using a jack and put jack stands under the frame. Take off the front wheels using the tire iron and set them out of the workspace.

2 Unbolt the shock absorber from the frame and the lower control arm using the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket and an open-end wrench, then remove the shock from the front suspension. Unbolt the stabilizer bar from the lower control arm with an open-end wrench.

3 Unbolt the steering linkage from the front spindle with the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket. Position the jack under the lower ball joint on the lower control arm. Lift the jack until it touches the ball joint. Unbolt the lower control arm ball joint from the spindle with the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket, and then strike the side of the spindle with the socket to separate the spindle from the lower control arm.

4 Lower the jack with the lower control arm slowly to gradually release tension on the coil spring. Pull the spring out from the front suspension with your hands. Install the replacement coil spring into the front suspension and then lift up the jack to lift up the front suspension. Connect the lower control arm to the spindle with the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket and then remove the jack.

5 Reinstall the stabilizer bar to the lower control arm with an open-end wrench. Reinstall the steering linkage with the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket. Reinstall the front shocks with the 3/8-inch ratchet and socket and an open-end wrench. Reinstall the front wheels with the tire iron and lower the Dakota off the stands with the jack.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-23-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Smile It worked for me easy to do

This I got this off a web site and was conserned that it actualy would work but it works easy no spring flying out in your face just pull out as they say.

I did this two weeks ago new coil springs and ball joints same time.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Wishing.

I was wishing it was as simple as just using a compressor for the springs pulling out once shocks are removed. I have no experience with balljoints . Since I have 160,000 miles on factory balljoints I will have to replace them soon.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Smile do it all at one time

I did it all in one day new springs two new driver side ball joints two new torson links two new ball joint boots on passanger side greased everything up and finished.

two links
http://www.rp95.com/BJ_replacement.pdf says Durango but same as Dakota

And in this forum https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/231427-2-wheel-drive-lower-ball-joints-how-to-w-pics.html

Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Ball joints bolted in?

Were your joints bolted in or riveted in like mine? Mine have to be drilled out.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

all lowers are riveted and must be air chiseled-ground-BFH'd off. Uppers should just be bolted.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Either way.

I have to find someone here in Denton tx that can do it for me cause i'm no good with power tools. I can do simple bushings like swaybar and that's as much work as I can do lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by syllinx
I have to find someone here in Denton tx that can do it for me cause i'm no good with power tools. I can do simple bushings like swaybar and that's as much work as I can do lol.
Be careful who you go to. DFW Dakotas might be able to give you some reputable shops in the area. Both of my front brake calipers are on oversize sliders, so I'm gonna have to replace all 4 balljoints + both spindles when I have to do my brakes next....that will be interesting.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default I will definately take some recommendations.

The shop here not gonna mention cause I hate em but they want 1100 just for the damn balljoints. They really suck.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a video on how to remove coil springs on 2k dakota 2wd?