2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Problems with wet floor board

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problems with wet floor board

I have an 04 Dak CC and i just noticed that my passenger floor board is staying wet. I havent done any water crossings lately and the upper(under dash) part of the carpet isnt wet. Anyone know what could be the problem? I know on a lot of the old S10 Blazers used to crap coolant when the heater core was going out. This doesnt smell like coolant.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah not sure.. i know i had a simular problem in my 97, I found that right where the plastic air intake is that meets the metal that vents fresh air from outside they sued in my year a cheap foam material to make the seal.. over time it degrades and then your left with a big *** gap there.. which during heavy rain or hella washing.. water could travel through the outside vents below the winshield and into that area.. then into the cabe of the truck, causing the pasenger side to be wet.

I also was having a problem with cold *** air coming in during the winter due to the Gap,.. which lead me here..

I used Great Stuff to seal it up for now.. in time it will degrade too.. but it beats ripping the dash all the way off just replace that seal..

IDK if your problem or not but might be worth checking it out. most vehicles like our trucks use a ****ty cheap faom seal there and almost all of them designate over time leaving a gap for air and water to enter.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 AM
01KotaQuad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We checked mine in my classfor Safelite AutoGlass and it was the third brake light...my floorboard was wet too.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

Thanks Jon
and
Kota, the brake light? For the front floorboard to be wet or back?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
eagle7
Amateur

The passenger side floor gets wet because the ac drain is leaking back into the firewall and sort of wicks into the carpet padding. Climb under there and remove the heat shield then seal it up with some silicone. I did it myself and solved the problem. I was doing my stereo install so i also took my carpet out and let it dry.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Cymaxx

I think it is probably the AC also, I noticed mine had done the same thing (wet passenger side carpet) but haven't had a chance to look at it more. I had an Accord once that had the AC drain tube clog up and the condensation built up and backed up and eventually found it's way through cracks or seams into the passenger compartment. I would hear it slosh around and then it would release and look like someone was peeing from my dash LOL. I finally found the end of the tube from under the car and stuck a wire up it, and then it gushed out with the debris I had loosened.

I need to do the same on the Dak but I don't know where the tube exits at. I saw someone else posted the same question here a few days ago. Anyone know?

Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

back in the 60s chrysler mounted a heater control valve on the firewall right side.. part of the valve was inside the cab, and half is in the engine compartment. when they leaked it was on the inside. would rust out the anchor point for the torsion bar. i moved the heater control valve to engine compartment. i used a heater control valve for a Buick wild cat 1963. you will have to rig the pull cable

Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is one way to find out. Dry your carpet really good then unplg your ac compressor(on my 5.2 the connector is above the driver side valve cover right at the front) Go for a couple days and see if your carpet gets wet if it doesnt then plug your ac back in and check it in a couple days if its wet then its your ac drain tube. I know mine was my ac drain tube. I had a heck of a time trying to find it so I gave up. A month later I had to fix my exhaust flange so I had to remove my plastic inner fender on my passenger side and right there staring me in the face was my ac drain tube so while I was in there I put a 69 cent elbow on it and it cured my problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM
01KotaQuad
Professional

Originally Posted by DakCC4x4
Thanks Jon
and
Kota, the brake light? For the front floorboard to be wet or back?
yessa...if u have a safelite place by you, stop by, we have a tester, well we do here in houston... we used the tester on it and it throws a certain sound when a leak is detected, and for me, yes it was the third brake light. if u take it out and can see debris and dirt around where the gasket touches the body then that's your problem...if i lift up my passenger side carpet, it's a puddle...no ac leakin nothing like a lot of guys think. you would be able to SEE your ac leak...common sense. try looking on the internet, or jc whittney...or someone that would have butyl tape like safelite... and pull your old rubber off the light and wrap this on it and should be fixed.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

Thanks for all of the good responses. I will check in to it.

Quick Reply: Problems with wet floor board