2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I found a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I found a dyno

ORIGINAL: TexasNative

okay next question then, for the 3.9 with the 40 series, intake, and a TB spacer how much should the average motor gain from those mods? Because if I put my horse at 185 and do the 20% loss then i come damn close to my numbers that I ran at the dyno, but thats only 10 hp over stock? Im confused [:@]
The throttle body spacer probably produces 0hp for you, they are not effective on Magnum motors because of their throttle body/intake manifold design.

The 40-series Flowmaster muffler sounds nifty but also likely produces very little horsepower because the rest of your exhaust is still stock and restrictive.

The 10hp gain you are experiencing is likely coming exclusively from the air intake system along with any +/- discrepancy in the dyno formula.

Parts manufacturers are great at claiming "up to +40hp" to entice people into buying their products - technically only +1hp fits into that marketing claim.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 AM
TexasNative
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so in your opnion what mods will get the job done because I have a superchips programmer now and the headers will go on sometime this week hopefully if I can get snowman to help me. so what mod should i do next??? the V-8 TB is about the only thing i havent done yet so lets play the what if game. after the headers and the programmer and a bigger TB do you think I can put 200 to the rear wheels???????

Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly doubt it. Get your heads ported, perhaps shave them down to bump compression up, and a camshaft and you would probably break 200.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:19 AM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasNative

so in your opnion what mods will get the job done because I have a superchips programmer now and the headers will go on sometime this week hopefully if I can get snowman to help me. so what mod should i do next??? the V-8 TB is about the only thing i havent done yet so lets play the what if game. after the headers and the programmer and a bigger TB do you think I can put 200 to the rear wheels???????
It's doubtful but possible. Heads and cam would certainly help, although if you don't want to get that deep you could look into adding 1.7r roller rockers and a full cat-back exhaust to complement the headers.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
TexasNative
Professional

ok now that yall have bashed me and my truck(sob, sob, sniffle, sniffle) on a scale of 1-10 1 being a new air filter to 10 being a pulled motor rate how hard it would be to replace the rockers. I really wanna stay out of the engine itself and was really only interested in bolt on stuff.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 AM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

ORIGINAL: snowman81

That sounds about right...I couldn't imagine that a stock R/T only puts 150 to the wheels. I am not a truck guy but I joined the site b/c I have a buddy on here and I am a car(well I guess all vehicles really) enthusiast. Hope no one minds me posting on this forum.
Nope. Whuddup brudda.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:44 AM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

Something unmentioned up until this point. Snowman81 ran his Acura TL-S on the same dyno, on the same night, with the same dyno operator. Based on the numbers he pulled, either the dyno was flakey, or the operator left his clue at home that night before he came to work.

His car makes 260HP stock, and he's running a AEM CAI, high flow headers/cats, and COMPTECH exhaust. All are very effective mods on the TL - not 'ricer' mods. His actual HP at the crank is easily 280+. On this dyno he pulled 200 at the wheels. Given he's a front driver, loss through the drivetrain is far less than a RWD. It's normal for cars modded like his to pull between 230 - 250 at the wheel - dyno and car condition dependent of course.

In short, I wouldn't trust much that came off the dyno that night, dyno slip or not.

Snowman81 can verify my claims. He's just too polite to post it up himself. I, fortunately, do not have that problem..

Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 AM
TexasNative
Professional

okay now that thats out there what do you think my numbers should be then? considering what I have and what Im doing this week(headers and programmer) better question r there any other dyno's around here? BTW the more and more I look into it the more I found dyno numbers for the R/T at least 215 and higher oh well!!!

Old 07-26-2005, 02:18 AM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

It is my opinion that you will NOT get 200 to your rears with mere bolt-ons. You need forced induction, significant engine work as described above, an engine swap, or a combination of all three.

You're putting (if you believe the dyno runs) 146HP to the rears now. To get to 200 at the rears, you'll have to generate another 54RWHP, which translates to ~240HP at the crank (going with the standard 16% drivetrain loss for a RWD manual - your results may vary)...

I believe your motor is rated at 175HP stock. Take your 175HP and reduce it 16% for drivetrain loss and you arrive at.....drum roll please.....175 - 28 = 147HP. So your dyno appears roughly accurate.

You've already done exhaust (nice sound, but minimal HP gain). The headers may help a bit, but don't expect miracles.

CAI - again, sounds real nice as your motor winds and sucks more air, but real results vary. Usually the sound pegs the seat-of-the-pants meter, but does little or nothing at the dyno.

Chip - your chip may affect your power under the curve, but peak power and hp seem to be about the same as stock.

Sorry to be the bearer of a contrary opinion, but that's my .02..

Old 07-26-2005, 02:25 AM
TexasNative
Professional

I hate when everybody else is right, oh well so can anybody rate the difficulity of putting in the roller rockers for a novice like me???

Quick Reply: I found a dyno