2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I found a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM
GeeWillikers
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I found a dyno

ORIGINAL: TexasNative

D@mn thats awful, so basically im stuck then unless i drop all of my per diem(if I go) into it huh. Oh well then I think on that note I will put in the headers, maybe the rockers and the throttle body(50mm) and be done with it. It sure would have been nice to blow Snowman away in something other than another 4 door car lol. (SRT-10 would come in handy lol) Although KRC performance makes a supercharger for my application which I think adds about 120 RWHP.
No, you're not stuck - you just need to concentrate on being competitive in your class of vehicle and not worry about racing something that isn't in the same league. You'll never see me try to pull on a C6 Corvette, but I'll mess with 3 and 5 series BMWs every chance I get. (as long as there isn't an "M" in the moniker...) Fewer things are finer than making a 5 series disappear.

Understood about the supercharger and resulting horsepower, but please - FOCUS ON THE WHOLE PACKAGE. Before you have 400HP, you need to have a suspension that can handle the speed and help you put the power to the ground. You need wheels and good rubber to be able to hook-up rahter than smoke-up. You need brakes to bring that thing down from speed. my Cummins has huge brakes but it's an experience bringing her down from 80 MPH in a short distance. I won't talk about brake fade - sheesh.

You see what I mean? If you have a plan to supercharge down the road, don't waste your money on mods that will be useless if you go FI. A lot of things you do will go by the wayside if you decide to put a supercharger or turbo kit under the hood. Remember also - dropping a supercharger or turbo in your truck is just the beginning - you'll need ECU work and tuning to go with it - which is much more money...

:-)

Good morning by the way.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:50 PM
snowman81

ORIGINAL: GeeWillikers

Something unmentioned up until this point. Snowman81 ran his Acura TL-S on the same dyno, on the same night, with the same dyno operator. Based on the numbers he pulled, either the dyno was flakey, or the operator left his clue at home that night before he came to work.

His car makes 260HP stock, and he's running a AEM CAI, high flow headers/cats, and COMPTECH exhaust. All are very effective mods on the TL - not 'ricer' mods. His actual HP at the crank is easily 280+. On this dyno he pulled 200 at the wheels. Given he's a front driver, loss through the drivetrain is far less than a RWD. It's normal for cars modded like his to pull between 230 - 250 at the wheel - dyno and car condition dependent of course.

In short, I wouldn't trust much that came off the dyno that night, dyno slip or not.

Snowman81 can verify my claims. He's just too polite to post it up himself. I, fortunately, do not have that problem..
Been away from the forums for a couple days but all the above info is correct. Unfortunately I didn't do my research before hitting the dyno because it was such a last minute decision. The operator suggested I run my car in 4th gear because that was the closest to a 1:1 ratio. Well, he was wrong. 3rd gear for my car is actually 1.02:1...that's what I needed to run it in. I estimate that with the intake and exhaust opened up, I am probably at about 285-290 to the crank. That being said, I should be looking at about 235-240 to the wheels. I plan on spending the $50 and running it again, in 3rd gear of course.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
snowman81

Rather than worry about the difficulty of this single install, I recommend you set a goal and then come up with a REAL plan on how to get there. What will this mod do for you? Do you even have an idea?

Peak HP and TQ mean nothing unless you're making them at the right point in the powerband FOR YOU. Do you know what the modification of your rockers will do and why? If no, that would be the question I would ask.

The question you need to ask yourself is "what do I want my truck to do?" Unless you spend a lot of time driving at the RPMs your truck requires to generate its peak HP & TQ (usually up there) your power under the curve is where you need to focus. I'll take a reasonable flat power and torque curve over peak numbers that do little more than give me bragging rights. A Honda S2000 makes great numbers as long as you keep the RPMs pegged. Let it drop out of the range of its VTEC, however, and performance is mediocre. Mazda's RX8 is in the same "keep it boiling" situation. Power below the curve is dismal.

If you want a good example of a vehicle that makes good power under the curve, look at BMW. Relatively low HP/TQ numbers when compared to the competition, but performance numbers (0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile) are usually comparable.
The biggest mistake that rookies make when modding their vehicle is not doing the research and not spending the extra $$ to do it right. I see it everyday on the Acura boards where people want headers so they buy the cheaper OBX or Megan headers and nothing else. Then they sit there and wonder why they didn't get much of a gain out of them and why the header are cracked after only 3 months. Had the spent the extra money and gone with Comptech, which is by far the best brand available for the TL, the would not have had they cracking and had they researched the gains from headers...they would have know that an intake is highly recommended and exhaust is helpful but not necessary due to the stock performance exhaust that is on the TL already. I don't know brands for the Dakota applications but it is the same principal. DO THE RESEARCH. I've had my car for 2 years and have been researching the mods since the month I got it. It was 8 months until I installed the intake and about 1 and a half years before the headers and exhaust went on. The springs were only to get rid of the wheel gap and tuck the wheel into the wheel well a little more. Here are some pics of my car in case anyone is wondering how riced out it is. Pages 1 & 2 are of my car and page 6 is before and after pics the day I installed my springs (with TexasNative's assistance)...the rest are miscellaneous pics. Let me know what you think...I would like the opinion of truck owners just to see what your point of view is. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/545318/1

BTW...I have run with a SRT-4 and they are not as fast as I thought they were. I am not sure the mods on it at the time but he didn't pull away like I expected him to. I stayed within a car length of him from 40-120 until he started swerving a little to much for my liking. Now there were definitely some modded SRT-4's that night that blew the doors off my car but my point of view is "It's still a Neon"

Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard those tl's fly. . . Like ive been reading. . . . You put a thousand dollars in motor work and dont do anything to the suspension, wheels/tires and you'll end up- well wasting a thousand dollars.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:55 PM
TexasNative
Professional

I can tell you from first hand EXP those frikkin TL's F L Y ( read low and fast) anyways i will be puttin on headers tomorrow o yall wish me luck.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:14 PM
snowman81

Actual cost to date on the mods=$3000. I have not added any weight from the mods that I have done, if anything...decreased wieght. That being said, 186 ft from 70 mph is more than sufficient for my needs. The mods do decrease the time it takes to get up to speed. However, that is not proportional to the amount of time (or distance in this case) it will take to come to a stop. For a curb weight of 3570 lbs, the stopping distance of the TL far surpasses the ability of the V8 Dak measuring in at 229 ft from 70 as referenced by geewillikers. The suspension mods have already been done and the only tires that will go on my car are V-rated (to 149 mph) and since the car is governed at 147, I'll be fine. The common misconception about wheels is that they will improve performance. Not always the case. In most cases, people put the wheels that look nice on their car but don't acutally look into the specs on them. If they did that, they would find out that they added about 15 lbs per corner. They have successfully just decreased the acceleration and increased the stopping distance. That's not to say that you can't find performance wheels out there, but expect to fork over some $$ for that mod. It's not uncommon for members on the G35driver.com boards to post costs in excess of $1500/wheel. Thanks for your input though.

Summary...you will not decrease your braking ability by mods that do not add weight. The concern here is to improve the already frightening braking distances recorded for the Dak.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 AM
TexasNative
Professional

ANYWAYS back to the focus of the thread any takers on how many ponies I might get for the programmer and the headers combined?????

Old 07-28-2005, 12:30 PM
GeeWillikers
Rookie

I estimate that with the intake and exhaust opened up, I am probably at about 285-290 to the crank. That being said, I should be looking at about 235-240 to the wheels. I plan on spending the $50 and running it again, in 3rd gear of course.
I gotta get along side your TL-S J. We gotta know FOR SURE. hehe..

Old 07-28-2005, 01:50 PM
snowman81

I gotta get along side your TL-S J. We gotta know FOR SURE. hehe..
Sounds good to me. I am sure you will pull on me but I would like to see how long I can keep up with you.
TexasNative, as for net gain from your mods...I would have to say that you are looking at probably 20 at the crank. I am not 100% on that, but that would be my guess-timate

Quick Reply: I found a dyno