2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Does your truck want to crawl up hills instead of run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 AM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does your truck want to crawl up hills instead of run?

I have my 2000 v6 3.9 with no mods 46000 miles and tuneup but when i hit the smallest hills it looses speed fast and I have to almost floor it. Does this happen with a lot of the same motors? Had 2 places look at it and said everything is fine even with a diagnostic test. I also heard that if i reset the computer it will tune itself to my driving, does that even work lol? Im just wanting to get everything i can out of the truck.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM
DAK4X4
Default RE: Does your truck want to crawl up hills instead of run?

well i got an 04 4.7 V8...i actually take my foot off the gas when going up inclines and let the truck pull itself. Nice aspect of teh V8, you'll pay an *** load for gas, but when it comes to engine life ur set. V8's dont have to work as hard, thus not breaking down as many parts with ware and tare and in the long run it'll last longer, not to sure how it would tune itself to your driving, kinda sounds like a fairy tail...but with the v6 i dont really understand why ur pulling like that. A co worker of mine has a V6 Ranger and he has had the sam problem up hills...you may wanna try dropping it down into second (yes even on an automatic) and see if that helps with the incline

Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
TexasNative
Professional

Tell you what bud I put an intake, TB spacer, and a 40 series on my truck and I have NO problem going up hills and stuff, however I will say sometimes it will kickdown if its really hilly. so try that and then tell us how its goes from there.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
InspiredCreations5.9
Professional

i have the same problem with mine... 97 v6 5spd... i have to come a steep mountain road ..about 3-4 mile road. Now i dont know inclines but its steep and i have to stay in second the whole way. I cant even do the speed limit which is 35 without revving the **** out of the motor. It makes me miss my Integra... that thing loved hills and handled on rails. Reved that to about 8g's cracking vtec comming up this road and i was up in a matter of no time an it didnt eat nearly as much gas either.

I think im gonna be buying another import after i save some money. The moneys either going into fixing this truck up or buying a new car.

later

Old 07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
syllinx
Veteran

lol finally back to the boards. I'm just trying to work out what could cause the problem with hills it has to floor it in cruise on any little hill like im being pushed back its just crazy.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:38 AM
TexasNative
Professional

Did you feed the gerbils? I have to feed mine constantly to get them to perform, that and play music for them. BTW you might also look at a stage 1 jet chip(just so happens I have 1 for sale(lol))

Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Javelin290

I have a 99 Sport with a 3.9 V-6 auto and mine was the same way. I had to give it some throttle to maintain a constant speed up a hill. I used to take it out of overdrive which helped some. But after installing a series 40 muffler and 9" Moroso open element air cleaner, I can leave it in overdrive and maintain a constant speed uphill without having to give it much throttle. Its finally starting to run like a V6 instead of a 4.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 PM
TexasNative
Professional

well Ijust got back off a 1000 mile trip AWFUL gas mileage(mid 17 to mid 18) but it didnt kick down even once when I was going up and down some decent hills, so the moral is (with a v6) follow my upgrades and you truck wont kickdown anymore.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:13 AM
dak0ta_g33k
Rookie

my v6 kicks down a lot going up lengthy hills at the speed limit. won't kick down if i'm speeding at about 85 mph. only engine mods are a 180 thermostat and v8 throttlebody swap. i do carry a lot of cargo under the topper. got 18 mpg going 321 miles from jersey to upstate new york

Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 AM
mudkicker78
Professional

unfortunatly, the 3.9 litre is out of date a millenia ago, its basicly a chopped 318, your issue is that it doesnt have enouph power, this could be stupid stuff, but is all centered around 220hp at 225 ft lbs tourqe!!! try some things to help it out, go with a stock replacement high flow filter from k&n, also try puting a fuel cleaner in, but dont change oil change habbits, dont put lucas or slick 50 in, they dont work, also you might be ready for an exaust, get a high flow exuast, this will help on hills, estimated hp gain with those two would be somewhere between 13 to 15

Quick Reply: Does your truck want to crawl up hills instead of run?