2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Driverside Taillight and Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
pcket5s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driverside Taillight and Turn Signal Problem

Hi all, new to the forum here and here with a question. I just noticed on my 2000 Dodge Dakota the driver side turn signal and tail light are not working. I have a fast blinker when activated to the left. I replaced the bulb last night and that did not correct the problem. I thought maybe I had a bad bulb and replaced the driver side bulb with the working passenger side bulb. The problem remained and I still had no tail light, brake light, or turn signal. The reverse light does work. Any suggestions to where to look next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default trace wires back

Best is to look at the fuses if good you need to trace the wires from that non-working light till you see any damaged wires if not that then are there any connectors pull them apart and see what they look like corroded melted smashed broken inside so on.

Check inside the bulb socket is it broken melted mud inside the socket.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the socket and then check the connector that the socket plugs in to for corrosion. The stop and tail lights share a ground in common at that connector.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink pull out the tail light *** to look

To get a good look at the wires pull the tail light assembly off and inspect the wires it should be only two screws drop tailgate you will see the two screws next to the taillight.

They are torex head screws

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-29-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
EricBing
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wifey and i were asparagus hunting and had hazards on for quite awhile and her bulb socket went bad on her taillight, it looked brown and a lil rusty, light worked intermittently until i replaced bulb socket then they were ok, hope it helps, yes those go bad sometimes

Quick Reply: Driverside Taillight and Turn Signal Problem