2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
newtech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical

My '02 Dakota,4x2,3.9 auto, has this code. I'm not sure if the symptom is "limp-in mode" or not. If I want it to go into 1st gear, I have to manually do it. It takes off in 2nd or 3rd. I'm an experienced mechanic, just not well versed in later Dodges.
I bought this truck a few years back, when it had 101k. Now it has 118k and this problem started last week. Since I first owned it, the trans has been overfilled 4" above full. It's always shifted okay till now. I don't feel that changing the filter and adding the proper amount of fluid is going to make everything okay. I'd like to hear from someone who may have experience with this issue. I like this truck, I would really like it to shift correctly. I don't have access to recommended procedures (it would be nice).

Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
alt-fuel
Amateur

I had the same thing happen at 70K I replaced the shift solenoids. The dealer had them in stock at the time. The pan has to be dropped and the filter. Probably a couple hundred for parts unless the autoparts places sells them. I now have 124K. If I had to do it again I would take it to the shop flush fluid and filter and have them put them in couple of screws and wire plugs.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 PM
OneSicSRT

got into our 2001 Dakota 3.9 the other day and the CEL light was on also, first time it's been on since we've owned it and the code was the P0753 - I cleared the code and it hasn't been back on since. I was looking for aftermarket solenoids and this is what I found from my regular auto parts store; http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search. I see that one solenoid is the overdrive and lockup, one is the overdrive and the other is the governor, any idea which one should be replaced (if that is indeed the problem)?

Old 01-25-2024, 05:26 AM
TheorigJoker

Originally Posted by newtech
My '02 Dakota,4x2,3.9 auto, has this code. I'm not sure if the symptom is "limp-in mode" or not. If I want it to go into 1st gear, I have to manually do it. It takes off in 2nd or 3rd. I'm an experienced mechanic, just not well versed in later Dodges.
I bought this truck a few years back, when it had 101k. Now it has 118k and this problem started last week. Since I first owned it, the trans has been overfilled 4" above full. It's always shifted okay till now. I don't feel that changing the filter and adding the proper amount of fluid is going to make everything okay. I'd like to hear from someone who may have experience with this issue. I like this truck, I would really like it to shift correctly. I don't have access to recommended procedures (it would be nice).
what transmission do you have in that Dakota?

Old 01-25-2024, 07:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by TheorigJoker
what transmission do you have in that Dakota?
13 year old thread......

Quick Reply: P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical