2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator removal with pictures how in the heck do i ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Schuey
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator removal with pictures how in the heck do i ?

i have an xtra radiator on front of my radiator i think its considered a tranny cooler for the towing package i have silver lines looks like ac running into it also i see the tranny line that one i know about radiator is loose but i got the electric fan off now.. but heres some pics of what im working with

any help is appreciated.. my haynes manual only shows a regular radiator it says 2 bolts and pull out but um yeah i cant so im at a stopping point now..i have atleast 2 silver lines rectangular going into 2nd radiator im guessing ac lines.. and of course the normal tranny cooler line.

thanks

Schuey

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default just what are you asking

The front one is the A/C condensor your A/C.

I dont know the V6 or V8 but I think they may have a tranny cooler connection on the bottom of the rad yes.

So what are you trying to do?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 AM
sl2racer
Veteran

the first picture is the ac condensor in front of the radiator. the other pictures are aftermarket as far as i can tell. if i had to guess it looks like from the outside of the truck in to the engine bay it goes. a/c condensor then radiator, then what may be an aftermarket trans cooler. you don't appear to have a clutch fan so your electric fan may also be aftermarket.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

not aftermarket, mine was same, tow pack has addition tranny cooler. PAIN IN THE **** if your couplers were seized up like mine. had to unhook the lines at the cooler. evac ac, unhook condenser lines. 2 of them. remove rad. hoses, upper and lower. unbolt line going into rad. unplug wire harness. I had to unbolt the brace on the back of the radiator, the U shapped bar and bent it back about 4 inches then wiggle the whole unit out. swap your fan over and the coolers, wiggle unit back in, then reverse the order... GTG!!! make sure your burp all the air out of the system...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Schuey
Professional

Everything i have is Factory installed... i do have the towing package on my dakota.. but how do i burp the a/c.. just stick a pin in the line big or lil nip..nothing on my truck is aftermarket minus my K&N items..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

you burp the coolant system not the a\c system. after you get everything back together you fill it up with coolant, leave the cap off and run it for awhile... wait till the bubbles stop coming up from the rad. cap. i usually do it for about 20 minutes...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

then of course after all that is said and done, you'll get your a\c recharged and hope to the heavens you didnt dmg it... double check the o-rings in the condenser... if they are dry put a little compressor oil on them...

Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Schuey
Professional

ROFL.. im no mechanic.. im only doing this repair since im out of job and i cant afford the 450 bucks for a ex dodge dealer to do it for me.. damn maybe i shoulda let him do it and just paid him the money each week from my unemployment.. woulda only took a few weeks..

ok so when i unbolt the silver lines from the trans cooler im guessing freon will hiss out at me right ?no harm in doing that so i dont need to mt the whole freon system or just unscrew the 2 screws with silver lines like in the pics above.. ?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Red face Take your time is all I can say

If you are not so inclined as some on this forum these things are hard and confusing to the novice I feel for ya.

Take your time is all I can say take pictures as you go that helps in putting it back together you can check your pictures

Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Quick Reply: Radiator removal with pictures how in the heck do i ?