2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota rough cold start in UK!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 AM
TJH 555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota rough cold start in UK!?

Hi There, I am in the UK and have a 2001 4.7 Dakota which is fantastic but it recently started with a problem which is really annoying! On first start up it is really rough/stalling/no power but not missing. After 1-2 minutes of running it is fine. I changed the throttle housing which came complete with throttle position switch and idle control valve. It was fine for 3 days and then problem returned! If i disconnect the battery and then connect it back the car is fine again for about 3 days and then it returns!!?? It is like i am resetting 'something' but it then returns to it's own setting! I have checked for air leaks etc but none found. It is driving me mad. There are no fault codes coming up on the dash. Help please? Cheers, Tim.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess it is a bad Coolant Temperature sensor. That is why it doesn't run right until it warms up. When you disconnect the battery your resetting the computers memory. So the computer takes a while to relearn all the parameters.

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Quick Reply: Dakota rough cold start in UK!?