2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011 | 12:47 PM
Siccboy78
|
Default Control arms

I have a 2003 4.7,quad cab. I am attempting to remove the upper, lower control arms. Replacing all ball joints, tie rod ends and last but certainly most difficult to do ( I've been told) the cont arm bushings. Does any one know the specs to the ball joints, upper and lower. The Haynes books does not say. Also the level of difficulty for this project. It had to be done, my truck handles awful squeaks and jounces and bounces.

Old 10-02-2011 | 01:08 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default what specs?

01SilverCC has agreat post on this here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/231427-2-wheel-drive-lower-ball-joints-how-to-w-pics.html

The back of that post I add to it with installing coil springs and upper ball joints there has been a few that have done the same thing just look in the past recent posts

look for 98DAKAZ posts or 01SilverCC

You didnt say if your truck was 4X4 the posts deal with 2WD not the 4X4

Grab a repair guide it will have torque settings here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Some torque here also https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-arm-help.html

I have a torque chart that I followed for the Ball Joint Bolts and nuts here http://www.rp95.com/BOLT%20TORQUE%20GUID1.docx

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2011 | 05:07 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default easy NO kind of Hard yes

If you are going to do both sides and all that stuff two or three days depends on how aggressive you are at wanting it done and how many distractions… it may take you 4 days.

You may want to do one side first then rest if it was a good experience just jump back at it and finish the other side.

Remember you will need an alignment done after it’s finished

Read all the current posts on this subject most are current last two months

Be very safety aware the car will be getting beat on so solid good car stands are needed

Old 10-03-2011 | 12:12 AM
Siccboy78
|

Sorry dude, its a 2wd. I am goint to be removing both sides, replacing all control arm bushings, upper and lower ball joints. ive read most everything I can get my hands on regarding this project. Yes, I also got a 3ton Jack & Stands whatever tools I think id be needing, as far as the spring compressor, ill rent one most likley. ive read threads where dudes taklk about supporting the weight of the truck w/ stands, putting a jack under lower cont arm raising it till spring is copressed, loosen castle nut on lower b. joint then slowly lowreing the jack to remove lower control arm and coil spring. thats sounds like it would work but, im not a experienced tec. Id feel more comfortable with the spring compressor. Yes this looks like its gonna be a good project,tough I mean. If I take my time follow proceedure and be patient, i should be fine. Im gonna have a buddy helpin out. I found the specs for the ball joints 50 to 71 ftlbs. So how difficult would you say this is gonna be? should I give a a go? I appriciate your time, thanks.

Old 10-03-2011 | 12:56 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up go for it

If I can do it anyone can do it as you said take your time be safe as too the spring clamp don’t use it I had more problems using that damned spring clamp than expected and scared the hell out of me as it slid off a few times with a loud twang just dropping with a jack was way better it’s a little scary jacking the arm back in place because it picked up the truck as it jacked it back in place do that part with a friend to watch your ***.

Old 10-03-2011 | 09:30 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

I did all that in 6 hours... the advantage I had is that im a technician for Midas in Houston so I had the tools, lifts and resources to do it... Its really not all that bad.

Old 10-03-2011 | 10:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Red face exactly experience makes a job easy

Exactly experience makes a job easy but for those of us that do it one time or two times in a life time no its not so easy and takes way longer that’s why I said two or four days and we double guess our every move if experienced you just jump in and Bam it’s done.

Old 10-03-2011 | 12:01 PM
Siccboy78
|

Right on! That's what I figured. There aren't a whole lot of nuts and bolts like other components. Probably blast the bolts before so they aren't too tough to take off. The job don't look too complicated, just gotta do my research. My main concern was the compression of the coil springs. Thanks for your time and info. Dakota lovers Rock!!!

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:56 PM
Siccboy78
|

Bam! It's done! Wasn't too bad, only hard part was getting the stabilizer link to separate from the lower cont arm. Next, bushings press. Then assembly! Thanks to all who took time to read and answer my post.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:39 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default take some pics

So its disassembled great take some pics.

Quick Reply: Control arms