2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tires-Please help Tire Noob.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 01:30 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tires-Please help Tire Noob.

Yes Tires question again; well I searched the forums and didn't find anything on these.

I found these at Walmart for a good price; Not many reviews out there and was curious what people thought.

Truck sees mostly Suburb and Country Roads; some highway use too/from certain remote destinations.

Will be using for Light to moderate muddy/wet conditions; light to moderate sand/gravel. Basically I'm not about to go bury the truck or anything like its a jeep.

wondering about the General Grappler AT2; Should I even waste my time? I'm really unsure about these tires; so many A/T and Mud tires out there to choose from; just want a good all around tire..

What I'm looking at Currently:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Gr...tlyViewedItems

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-A...tlyViewedItems

I really like the sizes on the above tire; I'm pretty sure numerious threads indicate the max I can go for my 4x4 is 31" with out a lift. and I'm assuming these 31" would fill the wheel well much better than standard P235 75R 15.
(Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Was looking at these too; but I think they are over a little over kill and I might get myself in trouble with them.. (Over Confident)
Plus I really don't want to spend the money I've sunk enough money into the truck.

Lastly; I guess; I've read many mixed reviews; I already feel like the Dodge Engines are week power plants; on top of so many problems; and things that are so damn hard to track down and fix; so I really do not want to cause the truck to loose any more 'get up and go' than it already has. I'm fine taking it as a low end Torque 4x4; but to loose any more power will be me wrapping this truck around a tree or "Whoops" emergency break didn't work on a boat ramp; time to call the insurance company.. ^_^..

So if there are some I am missing; I want to spend maximum 150.00 Per tire. (but cheaper would be better) Please let me know..

Thanks guys.. Sorry for the Epic Post.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I got my tires I asked about the goodyears cause they were a good price at walmart but I was told they are a soft tread and dont last long. You can do with 32's if you crank your torsion bars just need to get it aligned after wards. I got my tires off discounttiredirect.com I got my 32x1150x15 bfg at's shipped to my door for 610.00 then my mount,balance and alignment was free thanks to my buddy.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
thunder98110
Champion

why are you dumping more money into a truck you hate? just sell it.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
chris1996
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the maxxis big horn they are almost bullet proof and aren't so expensive

Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

I just got my Grabber AT2's on friday, theyre getting mounted tomorrow. I can't tell you how they are quite yet, but they look real meaty, and the tread is identical to BFG's.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thunder98110
why are you dumping more money into a truck you hate? just sell it.
I "Like" the truck overall; other wise i would not have purchased it; I just despise not being to able to figure out wth is going on with it sometimes; and its so inconsistent.. it gets on my nerves so much; sometimes I do wanna tear it a new one..

But the slightest of moisture on the road and the rear end wants to spin out or fish tail even with light throttle; so it needs better tires than the non-namers that are on it now; and also might as well drop something on it I want.

Don't take my rants in the other post of mine the wrong way; I'm just really pissy about the damn truck atm. LOL...

Old 10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtbiker
I just got my Grabber AT2's on friday, theyre getting mounted tomorrow. I can't tell you how they are quite yet, but they look real meaty, and the tread is identical to BFG's.
Great let me know how they feel if you can; I'm looking to buy with in the next week or so; just got the insurance check; for the damages; and it's only costing me about 1/32 for another bumper; so I gotta huge surplus.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
dirtbiker
Captain

Will do. I can't wait to see how they do and look. All of the reviews on tire rack were good, so we'll see. I'll post back later once I drive a little bit with them I might actually just make a different thread.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Musky mike

I have 265/75R16 on my 2003 4x4 and when I went to walmart to get tires they told they would only install the stock size. Maybe your walmart is different

Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Yes most places will not install them if you dont have a lift. If they said that to me I would just take in the wheels and ask them just to mount and balance them.

Quick Reply: Tires-Please help Tire Noob.