2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Back from the Dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
TNT_Tile
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the Dead

Like to say hello to everyone. Found that forum sites were extremely helpful with my other vehicles and want to continue the help with my new truck. Purchased a 1997 Dakota SLT V8 w/ 4WD from a yard sale after it had been sitting, undriven or started, for over a year.

Put a new battery in it and drove it home. I am trying to limit the overall investement in vehicle but have done a few things so far. Put new gas in and a fuel system treatment. 4 New tires and shocks and struts are on the way. Went with KYB Gas a Shock. Planning on new plugs but old ones look good, planing on cheap champion replacements.

Have a few issues that started today after a two hour highway drive looking through junk yards for parts.

(1) Check engine light cylinder 8 misfire came on.
(2) The blower on the ac/heater has stopped blowing.
Finally, the biggie
(3) Occasional lag between first and second gear with a clunking sound that after I back off the gas it goes away.

Other then that a few small things that will be resolved from junkyard. Two rear fenders with rot and gear selector **** that was broken repaired at no cost. Passenger side window switch not working looking for part but had trouble at junkyard finding exact match. Couldnt find one with out the red metal control box with pins. Wonder if 97's were put together with leftover '96 parts.

Clear coat on roof is almost gone. May spray it for time being. Cleaned interior from top to bottom. Noticed oil pressure goes up and down with engine rpms but stays within normal levels. Also occasionally idles low. Temp runs good and battery charges and holds for a week with out running.

Thanks for any help. Trying to limit money spent. 4 WD works and dont have any oil leaks or spotting under vehicle. Could go crazy trying to check everything but will see how things go. Checked a sticking caliper cleaned it and Im keeping an eye on it. Have a new belt to put on since old one has small amounts of craking.

Fun to drive and burning up gas. Waiting on the struts but pepy enogh to spin the wheels. Fun second vehicle not intended for a daily driver.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1: Could be a bad plug,wire or injector. Everytime I get a used vehicle the first thing I do is a complete tune up and fluid change. I would do autolite plugs(3923, magnum motors seems to like them a lot) Cap, rotor and wires. You can get everything for about 60.00.

2: could be fan resistor or burnt connector(common problems with them)

3: Im not sure kinda hard to think about it when you cant hear it. Did you check fluid level? Didnt mention if it was manual or auto.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
TNT_Tile

Sorry. Auto. Just sounds like something banging around. Kind of a clunk, clunk, clunk. Does it from time to time but cant create the noise on command. Usually the first time it shifts from first to second once truck is started. Thanks for the other help. Had plans to get some work done over last two days but weather is holding things up. When you have a family and a one car garage a car never actually fits inside to work on anything. Id be better off with a pop up tent. Thanks again looking to pick up plugs and supplies for a weekend project. Gonna also check grounds for blower fan but I would assume other issues would be present. Only other thing I noticed was cruise control doesn't work. Not sure if they are tied together.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 AM
ritualjman
Amateur

Okay as for the fan blower, If you screw with your key in the ignition does it kick in and out? because the fan blower runs the the ingnition on these 2nd gen dodges.

Hope This Helps.

JJ

Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

As far as the tranny I would try a fluid change to see if it helps it out. Other than that im not really sure

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
TNT_Tile

Thanks for all the replies. Blower works perfect today at start up. No idea what was going on the other day but have some experimenting to do to recreate isssue. Thanks for the tranny fluid idea, not sure where the noise is coming from only have 100 miles on truck since purchase. Clearing codes to see how emissions go for inspection. Doing the 8 plugs and keeping fingers crossed on wires and cap. Have to try the jiggle of ignetion as well as playing with the cruise controls again to see if it shuts off. No blower means no heat and in Jersey that could be no fun. Thanks again try and get some pics and keep updated.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:33 PM
thunder98110
Champion

i have the same thing with my trans, the clunk sound. right after first start up the first 1-2 shift. i think its just the driveshaft noise. i remember reading something about it a loooong time ago and it being normal, so i dont worry about it.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

No heater no problem. Cheap way to stay warm lol
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...fan-96144.html

Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
TNT_Tile

Finally got plugs in. Ran to inspection station and passed NJ emissions. Amazing. Replaced serpentine belt. Still have strange blower issue and slight shaking at idle. Oil pressure varies but with in range. Waiting on shocks/struts and should feel brand new. Noticed driver side door lock doesn't always go up and down with remote or power locks. Little things but 10 mpg is priceless.

Last edited by TNT_Tile; 10-17-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Back from the Dead