2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 Knocking, losting oil pressure & overheating

Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Draztik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 Knocking, losing oil pressure & overheating

I've had issues before and had the top end rebuilt about a year ago, but the bottom end still had knocking but not too loud or major. I was told to just keep driving till it couldn't go anymore since it would be more expensive to try and fix that than just getting a reman or used engine.

Well two days ago it was running fine as usual on the way home from work check gauges light comes on. I see the oil pressure is on the L and temp is on H. Park it for awhile check the oil and no oil is in there, so I pour 5qts and some coolant to top that off.

Start it up and it's normal again, oil pressure good, but once it starts to warm up the oil pressure starts dropping, it doesn't go all the way to L anymore, but stats on the line before it so it's on normal but low.

Then the temp keeps rising until it is at H.

So let the truck cool down runs fine, once it warms up though then oil pressure problems and the overheating.

Is the engine just done now or can I get some more time out of it?

Last edited by Draztik; 10-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

we wouldnt be using that THIN oil would you? uuummm?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Draztik

Nah, in fact today I went to the local Pep Boys to grab some supplies to flush and give it a oil change and it wouldn't start.... engine would turn but nothing else. It ran find the way there but of course it didn't warm up yet so the oil pressure was fine

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Los2511

Fuel pump failed me so I put one it and it's still a hard start. Tried a different pump same brand and same thing. They are carter pumps. Anyone heard of this before? Pressure is fine but somehow it's pumping air with the fuel from the tank because the mixture comes out bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.7 Knocking, losting oil pressure & overheating