2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How much is this truck really worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 PM
TheGrimRaper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is this truck really worth?

Alright.

So, I think I'm in love. After driving a 93 chevy blazer, loaded with rust and a home made exhaust, I think it's time to scrap her.

I have always loved Dodge trucks, even though I was raised in a GM family. Love the Cummins engines, but unfortunately, I can't afford a black smoke puffin diesel right now.

I found this Dakota on the web, it looked nice, but it is really over priced. Here's the ad.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ317515146

I took it for a drive, and man does it drive nice. The tires a bit big for the truck, so sharp turns are a bitch. The tires rub against the wheel well, but I mean, it's not causing any damage and you know when it's happening.

The truck has a rebuilt engine, lift kit, full exhaust (no cats), true dual, mudders, new sterio, etc.

Bad thing is, it has some rust in some hard-to-fix places, paint peeling on the box, ( about a sq. foot), and pretty bad hail damage on the hood.

I would get the hail damage repaired, just by getting a new hood and painting it. it'll set me back a few hundred bucks but whatever. I'll also get the rust quoted. It looks like it was never used for hard core mudding, as the undercarriage is in good condition.

I know it's over priced, but how much should I offer? How much is it worth? I don't want to seem like a jackass lowballing it. He does want it gone, lowered it $100 already. and remember, there's 170 000 KMs on it, not miles haha.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to put an offer in tonight, if it's worth it. Highlighted info is in the ad, rear diff was replaced a while ago.

Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Senate427
Veteran

wow it's nice truck, already lifted and if my math is correct the truck has 110,604 miles. If there isn't to much else wrong with the truck offer the guy like $5,500.

Dakotas are always worth fixing.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:48 PM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by Senate427
wow it's nice truck, already lifted and if my math is correct the truck has 110,604 miles. If there isn't to much else wrong with the truck offer the guy like $5,500.

Dakotas are always worth fixing.
Of course. The gas will be a pain but whatever. I'm just worried about over paying. He doesn't drive it, which makes me wonder. I asked why the rear diff was replaced and I got no answer. I'm just worried if stuff goes wrong, I'm truckless. Also worried about inspection, since it has no cats and is pretty loud.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I bought my truck with 120,000 miles and it was great when I bought it but then things started to go. I replaced the starter 3 months after i bought it and since I have replaced the rear diff cause the thrust washers came apart in side and chewed a few things up and just this spring the transfer case exploded on me. Make sure to check the fluid levels of the tranny, transfer case and especially the diffs. But I agree I wouldn't do more than $6,000. I paid $5,500 for mine and it is a 99'

Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by ahsnowlover
I bought my truck with 120,000 miles and it was great when I bought it but then things started to go. I replaced the starter 3 months after i bought it and since I have replaced the rear diff cause the thrust washers came apart in side and chewed a few things up and just this spring the transfer case exploded on me. Make sure to check the fluid levels of the tranny, transfer case and especially the diffs. But I agree I wouldn't do more than $6,000. I paid $5,500 for mine and it is a 99'
Starter is good, for now anyways.

I'm just concerned about the major hail damage and rust spots. The left tailpipe is bent down, but I can just bend it back up. Treads are good.

Any other opinions?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:29 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try to get him to 5k if you can. Tell him it looks good but there is some work that needs to be done.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Xxaler
Professional

5-5500 sounds about right.

Low KM, lift, good tires, minor rust. Paint is easy to fix, rust if its on the fenders better get it done right or you'll wind up having to buy new ones.

The rubbing you can get fixed easily. Find some offset steelies for your truck and have a local shop swap the tires over, or get some 1"+ wheel spacers.

Trust me, with those big tires as soon as you widen your stance, its really a whole new truck.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really not overpriced by much at all. $6000 is a very fair starting point for that truck. It has some options that are tough to find. A 5 speed with 3:92 gears and a 9.25" rear is a fun truck. The tires look to be in great shape and they're BFGs. Those tires are one of the most expensive all terrian tires. I think $5500 is a very fair price.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
TheGrimRaper

Hey guys.

Got the truck for 4300. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DAMN! You got a deal!!! Now post up some pics!

Quick Reply: How much is this truck really worth?